Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Stances on Bison?

There are solutions on brucellosis outside of eliminating the disease. The current UM&R & CFR are from the 1930's, when undulant fever was a real issue as many folks weren't drinking pastuerized milk and the disease was being transmitted to humans. That's where the zero tolerance issue came in. Compounding that was putting B. Abortus on the select bioterrorism agent lists post 9-11, which led to more difficulties in conducting research on vaccine development.

The reality is Brucellosis isn't a life-threatening issue to livestock, wildlife or people in 2021. It's a regulatory morass from almost a century ago that disregards reality in 2021. There's a lot of common ground between conservationists and livestock producers on removing B. Abortus from the select agent list, and downgrading the issue on the APHIS side.
Humm, we know someone that contracted brucellosis from a wild bison. Not something I want to get. It happens.

I find the resistance to bison interesting when compared to feral horses... even more to feral cows, I just googled "feral cows [state]" and came 6 examples.

The NM case is notable as there was rancher resistance to lethally removing them.

Feral Cows Gila, NM

Feral Cows, CA

Feral Cows, AZ

AK

GA

HI
This is insane. They aught to shoot them all and fine the owners of the branded ones.

I don't think we will ever see free ranging herds of millions across the plains, but considering the articles I posted above I think that you could easily add a ton of small herds across the west. Maybe as many as 10-20k. If a herd of 300 cows can run around, there is no reason in my mind that they shouldn't be replaced with bison. Can one really argue those cows, couldn't just as easily down fences, contract brucellosis from elk and then transmit them to other herds?

Cow are generally vaccinated against the disease, and if they test positive, then they're culled. They're controlled far more easily than wildlife.

Right now, the known transmission vector is elk to livestock, because those populations around YNP are heavily infected due to how they are managed on wintering lands and the concentration of elk rather than having them dispersed on natural winter range.

You manage brucellosis by managing livestock. it's the easiest component to viably do so with. Which is frustrating for livestock producers who watch infected elk run all over calving grounds unless they work with FWP on hazing and other efforts.

My ideal for restoration would take probably another 20 years to get to consensus, but it would involve the CMR and APR in conjunction, as well as buyin from locals who show up to work on stuff, not throw bombs. Tribal conservation efforts deserve a ton of support and attention as well. There are few entities out there doing as much for restoration as tribes. With the translocation of brucellosis negative animals out of quarantine and to tribal conservation herds, I think that's a program that needs more funding & help to increase the flow of animals to places where they are welcome, and that have been proven to be brucellosis negative. Expanding tolerance on the north and west sides of YNP would be good as well, especially for the huntable population in YNP. Giving them more room in the winter, and then staggering hunting zones to allow animals to move outside of the park without facing the firing line would do more to control that herd than test & slaughter, IMO, and it would provide the pressure release valve on the cull that is needed.

In other states, I can see expanding current populations and doing some unique co-management plans with tribal agencies so as to share landscapes in order to help find areas of little or no conflict.

In any scenario, landowners will have to be at the table and taken seriously or nothing will occur.

Humm, we know someone that contracted brucellosis from a wild bison. Not something I want to get. It happens.
I would imagine it's extremely rare, and based on my conversations with large animal veterinarians, their take was that the people most likely to get undulant fever were vets who worked with these critters. I mean, you would literally have to find a way to get the bacteria into your body within 72 hours of it being shed from the host.

Which poses some interesting questions about your acquaintances activities.

Last edited:
I would imagine it's extremely rare, and based on my conversations with large animal veterinarians, their take was that the people most likely to get undulant fever were vets who worked with these critters. I mean, you would literally have to find a way to get the virus into your body within 72 hours of it being shed from the host.

Bacteria

Cow are generally vaccinated against the disease, and if they test positive, then they're culled. They're controlled far more easily than wildlife.
Cows in Hawaii... Alaska those ones in NM? Obviously some are recently escaped and branded, but my cursory googling suggests there are at least a thousand born feral cows in the US.

Cows in Hawaii... Alaska those ones in NM? Obviously some are recently escaped and branded, but my cursory googling suggests there are at least a thousand born feral cows in the US.

Bovine Brucellosis only has 1 known reservoir left in the US, if I remember correctly, and it's the GYE.

I would imagine it's extremely rare, and based on my conversations with large animal veterinarians, their take was that the people most likely to get undulant fever were vets who worked with these critters. I mean, you would literally have to find a way to get the bacteria into your body within 72 hours of it being shed from the host.

Timely.... Many years ago I was chatting about how nobody gets undulate fever and someone piped up that Joe Gutkoski got it once (that's him in the red). I'm like "that som-bitch has done everything at least once." Anyway, he caught it gutting a cow elk during a late season hunt.

unnamed (2).jpg

If I was rich and all powerful, step one would be to buy out the RSGA. Get em outta the picture. Step two would be an ultimatum to the feral horse lovers, come and get em and take em somewhere or don't bitch about what happens from here on out. Step 3, fences and highway crossings everywhere. I'd be like the Oprah of game fences and wildlife crossings along the highways and interstates. You get a crossing, you get a crossing, you get a crossing!

Boom, bison in the Northern Red Desert. Honestly, I just don't see what's so hard about all this.

Timely.... Many years ago I was chatting about how nobody gets undulate fever and someone piped up that Joe Gutkoski got it once (that's him in the red). I'm like "that som-bitch has done everything at least once." Anyway, he caught it gutting a cow elk during a late season hunt.

View attachment 190999
Juniper Joe! I haven't seen him in years. I have amore than one story about him.

while we are speaking about Bison. Wood Bison hunts are still available this December in The Yukon Territory . They start in December and cost approx 20000.00 These are truly open range and wild Bison. You will fly in via a ski plane and then snow shoes. However, you will need to apply for an import permit from the U.S. to get it back into the U.S. Because of the time of year the only other animal you will be able to hunt is the Wolf, but you can hunt three of them, if you see them --for free ;)

Obviously, this depends upon whether or not the border remains open.

the only rancher I personally know that has dealt with brucellosis was in the GYE and admitted he just didn’t want to spend the money to vaccinate despite knowing he had potential for contact. He was very quick to blame elk and want more ways to hunt/kill them on his property, especially bulls in the fall. To me it seemed much easier for him to just pay up and vaccinate but that probably would cut into his beer and cigarette budget

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back