MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Squirrel Taxidermy in Colorado

trb

I am hoping to have an Abert's Squirrel mounted this winter, but I have contacted at least a half dozen taxidermy shops in CO and all have said they won't deal with squirrels.

Does anyone have any suggestions on someone that would?

The candidate:
20220916_133816.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I was in Denver for 24(ish) hours this past weekend and saw the most beautiful squirrels running around. Highlight of the trip.

Find someone who works with a freeze drier. Don’t be surprised if your taxidermist tells you it didn’t turn out or the hair slipped.

Reactions: trb
I was in Denver for 24(ish) hours this past weekend and saw the most beautiful squirrels running around. Highlight of the trip.

Gotta head to the Ponderosa forests to find Abert's. This distribution map is...very generous.
1664313768813.png

Here is a Pope & Young fox squirrel. He was in full rut. Called him in with a Possom Holler double reed Dominator diaphragm Barker. Put the smack down on him with a 2 blade RAT Wacker expandable....Didn't go 20!View attachment 241773
Here is a Pope & Young fox squirrel. He was in full rut. Called him in with a Possom Holler double reed Dominator diaphragm Barker. Put the smack down on him with a 2 blade RAT Wacker expandable....Didn't go 20!View attachment 241773
Phenomenal specimen. Now how would one go about taxidermy-ing such a fine beast?

I'm new to the archery game. Next time I'll have a photo with face paint and the bow. But it was captured on video. Excuse my wife's foul language as the squirrel made a mad dash for the neighbors yard with an arrow through it.

That's one of them ninja squirrels with body armor. I thought everyone knew to use the big stuff on them? I'd pull out the deer rifle, maybe a 30'06 with one of them copper bullets, in case you want to take a shoulder shot.

That's one of them ninja squirrels with body armor. I thought everyone knew to use the big stuff on them? I'd pull out the deer rifle, maybe a 30'06 with one of them copper bullets, in case you want to take a shoulder shot.
I believe the city frowns upon the discharge of firearms in city limits unfortunately. Plus it would absolutely ruin the hide, and set back my progress of collecting various species of squirrel hides for a technicolor dream squirrel coat.

Phenomenal specimen. Now how would one go about taxidermy-ing such a fine beast?
Believe it or not every taxidermist in the Hoosier state does it. Turkey and whitetail is 90% of their work so they are happy to do something different. If I ever had one done I would buy a kit and do it myself. Tanned a ton of them when I was a kid and even made a possibles bag for my black powder stuff when I was around 13-14 years old. Made the head the latch with buttons for the eyes.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back