Spring 2003 hatch!

Ithaca 37

I'm predicting that it was a great hatch this month! Perfect hatching conditions in Southwest ID for all upland birds. No reason we shouldn't have a real good hunting season. What do the rest of you guys think?

Plenty of cover for young birds, no rain, plenty of insects=good hatch survival.
biggrin.gif

Today I drove through some farm and ranch land that had lots of tall grasses and plenty of bugs. If we dont get a lot of range fires this summer the habitat will be good. Even watched some quail for a while. Cant wait to blast a few of those little suckers.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

The chuckar in northern NV are doing real well. Conditions have been great, especially with the mormon cricket infestations.

I've see the coveys come off the hills down into the flats just to feast on these fat and slow crickets. I havn't see any new chicks yet, but they should be out already.

Thats great T Bone. I may have to come down for a day or two of hunting. We have been killing the crickets like crazy here. Last week we dumped out 66,000 pounds of carbyl bait by crop duster for them. I dont think the birds have eaten too many, atleast there are the grass hoppers left to munch on. So far everything else is looking good for the chukars. Pheasant oughta be awesome for a change. Lots of quail already.

Man you guys are getting me excited, and yet we still have a few months to go!

Should be a great year to hunt! Even better since this will be my last in Idaho, for awhile at least. Pesky military moves :

Ithaca, I am thinking the same as you. I went to a area I hunt grouse in. The berrys are just now blooming and it is going to be a HUGE grop of choak cherrys, snow berrys, currents, and many others. The cover is thick and like you said the bugs are out in force.
I didn't see any birds but I know they were there along the streams. I stayed on the main roads and trails. I am thinking my new pointer is going to get a work out this year! Ron

I was in Hell's Canyon from Monday to Friday, and saw plenty of Chukar, but did not see a single baby. I was kind of wondering where they were.

The cherries at Kirkwood ranch were already ripe, so they were having a good spring, but no Chukar.

My area has had wayyyyyyyyy to much rain. I fear that many turkey and quail nest got flooded. Acually i know of a few i have walked up on while looking for snakes that were flooded and abandoned. Hopefully many nested on the high ground this year.

later, MM

Say a couple of covey's (is that right?) of Chukar chicks in UT while out doing Rangeland Health Assessments. Boy those things are fast!

I've seen a couple good covey of them so far this year, just find water and you'll find birds. Come on September!

Welcome to Hunttalk Greycliff...Glad your on board and hope to see you posting some...Sit on down and tell us some stories!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back