Yeti GOBOX Collection

Spotting scope power

Was curious what power spotting scopes most guys use while hunting? Of course size and weight all come in to play. Also any brand loyalties would be welcome as well, I've always been a lueopold guy myself.

I'll be packing a 30-70 ATX 95. Yeah its heavy, but the trade off is worth it for me.

Currently using a Leupold Ventana 15-45x60mm but even then it gets old to pack around more than a little way from the truck, but isn't powerful enough for the rifle range. The next one will be a Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm.

I'm currently using a Swaro STS 65mm with the 20-60 eye piece, but I'm seriously considering upgrading to something larger (like an 80mm).

only scope i "carry" is a vortex razor 11-33x50 use a couple others at truck but that little razor is great.

C

Just bought the little 11-33 Vortex Razor HD. Cabelas had their labor day sale and everything was 10% off, plus 10% back in club points plus 5% off with their credit card. With the free shipping, I will get it to my door for about $535. Couldn't pass it up and can't wait to try it out. I don't plan on packing anything bigger anywhere.

lots of guys here in nz going to a nikon sx50 or similar,,light and after taking a pic on 50x can zoom in again on screen,,just need a small tripod

I pack a Swarovski 65mm with 20-60 eyepiece. I generally only pack Swaro SLC 10x42 for bow season. I went through a few lessor scopes both in weight and price prior to getting this one and can't imagine anything less now.

I've had a bunch of scopes. The current one is a Zeiss 65mm with a 15x56 eye piece. Works well for everything I need it for, and gets packed around a lot.

I have a Leupold 20x50mm. It works well for spotting game. However, if I was trying to size up sheep for legality, I would want something better like a Swaro 15-45x or 20-60x

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as brand, I am becoming more and more of a Vortex fan. They are every bit as good as Luepold(let the hating begin, I'm hesitant putting this because of the large amount of Leupold fans on this site), and a little bit cheaper for similar products. I've used Redfield, Luepold, Nikon, Zeiss of many products. I think all around they are the best bang for your buck. I have moved all my rifle scopes over to them, as well as my Bino's and Spotting scope.

I just recently bought this one, Viper HD 15-45x65. I haven't used it a bunch, but what I have done I am impressed with.

I also added a couple features that seemed interesting, the PhoneSkope(adapter for my iPhone for digiscoping) and the blue tooth shutter control. I am still waiting to receive these. They were backordered and I just got an email saying they are going to be here on the 16th.

I went to a long range shooting school. Everyone showed up with their optics. I left my Leu in the truck as there were 2 Swaro's and a Zeiss and the top Vortex all lined up next to each other as we tracked the shots out in the mountains. I was told the Vortex was the one to watch with. Didn't believe the guys until I watched thru all 4. I am now a believer. The top Bino was the Swaro el range, it was also the best range finder as it worked in every situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back