Spotter Recommendations?

JoltnJoe

Looking for a 65mm spotter under a grand... recommendations? disclaimers? angled vs. straight? TIA!

Looking for a 65mm spotter under a grand... recommendations? disclaimers? angled vs. straight? TIA!
How tall are you? Im right at 6', so a straight spotter is my preference. Obviously this can be adjusted with a tripod. I have an old Leica and love it!

I have a Vortex Diamondback that I really like. I have an angled version, not sure which is best, but I will say I sometimes have a hard time going from binos to spotter or from rifle scope to spotter when I am at the range.

Looking at the athlon ares.... anyone have any experience with this spotter or athlon products???

Angled. I don’t understand why anyone would own straight after trying an angled spotter.

I have a Swaro ATS 65. I upgraded from a Vortex.

Angled. I don’t understand why anyone would own straight after trying an angled spotter.

I have a Swaro ATS 65. I upgraded from a Vortex.

I am going to be purchasing a new spotter in a month or two and have been going back and forth between angle and straight. I have always used straight. Can you tell me the reasons you prefer angled? I have been leaning that way just for something different but unsure of the advantages/disadvantages.

I am going to be purchasing a new spotter in a month or two and have been going back and forth between angle and straight. I have always used straight. Can you tell me the reasons you prefer angled? I have been leaning that way just for something different but unsure of the advantages/disadvantages.
I prefer straight in the field because easier for me to find things quickly while transitioning from unaided or binos observation of a spot. At the range it doesn't matter to me.

Angled is more comfortable to glass from. We’re usually hiking into a glassing spot and glassing from a seated position.

Attachments

• 81724CC9-D68B-4511-8608-5931EA222BFE.jpeg
    81724CC9-D68B-4511-8608-5931EA222BFE.jpeg
    911 KB · Views: 27
All I know is get the best you can afford. Don't settle for a lesser scope. I did, and regret it every time I use it. mtmuley
Depending on who you ask (ie the wife) I can afford a top of the line Tasco or a maybe a middle of the road bushnell but I’m trying to stretch that budget out a lil bit😜

Angled all day for me Might be a little easier to find things with a straight spotter but you adjust to it pretty quick.
It also keeps it lower on your tripod and more stable,if different height people will be with you it’s easier to bend to the angled vs. the straight. Camo fire puts up the vortex razor 65 ever now and then for a little under a thousand bucks I believe.
I run the razor 85mm and love it.

Angled is more comfortable to glass from. We’re usually hiking into a glassing spot and glassing from a seated position.
Is angled really that much more comfortable? When I glass with my binos I’m seated and never notice an issue with discomfort and if I do I adjust myself and the setup which I am usually doing anyway. I have glassed steep uphill, steep downhill, and flat ground and never had an issue so help me wrap my mind around an angled spotter.

I currently have two angled and a straight spotter. Can't really say I prefer one over the other when it comes to comfort. But I hunt with guys who swear by one over the other. I really think there is no definitive answer, because comfort is often personal preference.

When it comes to functionality, I feel that the straight allows me to get on target quicker. I like the shorter length of an angled scope when I'm hauling one around in my pack, and I can use a slightly shorter and more compact tripod.

As far as a 65mm scope recommendation, I would get a Vortex Razor. Should be able to purchase one of the newer style ones for around $1k if you search around, or one of the older models (new old stock) for less.

I have an angled Saker that has been great. Also, nothing but good things to say about Pat and his help before and after my purchase. I wish I had a straight scope for antelope hunting and other trips in the vehicle but prefer an angled scope for everything else.

For the price range I personally recommend upping it just a bit and getting a used Swaro, but I have also heard good things about Athlon and they are very budget friendly.

Looking at the athlon ares.... anyone have any experience with this spotter or athlon products???

JoltnJoe I have used the the Cabelas Krotos 15-45X65MM scope for two years now. From all of the research I have done the Krotos is just a relabled Athlon Ares spotting scope. I have been very impressed with the scope and I rarely go into the hills with out it. My dad and brother now both have Athlon spotting scopes because they were impressed when they borrowed my scope. Now it does not have same the optical quality as say a swarvo but I would say the optical quality is better than the viper and is very close to if not on par with the Vortex razor for less money. Another thing you will love about the Ares is it is way lighter and more compact than most of the other spotting scopes on the market. I was very hesitant at first to buy a less know brand but I have not regretted the decision at all. I am happy to answer any other question you have.

Thanks for all the input, ended up getting a great deal on an athlon ares from schmalts/predator optics. Great scope for the money thus far, and an easy transaction. I highly recommend checking with him before making any optics purchase!

Back