Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

SPOT Connect

Flatrock

I just saw an ad for this in a magazine the other day and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it? Looks pretty cool, you buy the device and then download an app onto your phone. If you are in the mountains with no cell phone reception, you connect the device to your phone via bluetooth and by using them together, you are able to send messages via satellite. From what I can tell, you can't receive messages but if you are hunting alone, you can send messages daily to let family or friends know that you are doing ok. You could also use it to have someone come help pack out an animal or if you found yourself in an emergency, you could send for emergency help.
Might be a great way for a solo hunter to be able to have more peace of mind when out by yourself.

Here's the website.

http://www.findmespot.com

Spot Generation 2

I have a brand new Spot which retails for $149 offered at $80 including shipping to your door. Brand new never opened.

Last season I purchased an older version that was defective and the company sent me this replacement a couple of months ago. I switched to the fast find and have no use for this Spot.

Attachments

• spot1.JPG
    spot1.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 246
  • spot2.JPG
    spot2.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Whats the fast find?

Similar device without the bells and whistles of the SPOT. Just do a search for the fast find or the other one is the ACR personal locator beacon. Theya re more expensive than the SPOT.

I have used a SPOT for the last couple of years while hunting solo and would not go without it! The model I use have three buttons, the okay - here I am button - I am here and in trouble need some help (I actually use that button for truck problems or the Send in the Marines as soon as possible I am about to be eaten by a bear button.

Randy - I would contact the SPOT folks could be a good sponsor for On Your Own?

Randy - I would contact the SPOT folks could be a good sponsor for On Your Own?

I would research what others experience has been with the spot product on websites like cabelas before I rushed to judgement on how good this product works. You will find that most of the people who worked with the customer service department at spot share the same opinion opinion of the company/product.

Last edited:
Maybe - always good to check - I have a good friend that works with a Boy Scout troop here in CO they have several SPOTS for their scouts and have had no problems and good service.

Maybe - always good to check - I have a good friend that works with a Boy Scout troop here in CO they have several SPOTS for their scouts and have had no problems and good service.

You will find lots of product recalls for various reasons. The generation 1 units had lots reasons why it didn't work. Many users were able to the the generation 1 units repleced with generation 2 units. Then they started having problems with the generation 2 units. The latest being the spot communicator that was sold with delorme gps units failed to work below 40 degrees.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/0...-recalled-found-not-to-work-below-40-degrees/

You will also find many people who have worked with the companys custoemr service are dissatisfied.

About half the reviews on the net I have found are positive and the other half negative. Not a good record for a life saving device.

http://www.rei.com/product/816133/spot-connect-satellite-communicator

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...Rprd715618&WTz_l=SBC;BRprd715618;cat104316480

http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Inc-SPOT...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

wyoming556---Thanks for that information! A small percentage rate of failure is one thing on any product, but it doesn't sound like I would want to go in the boonies depending on one of those SPOTS with all the negative poop on them! Thanks much, as I was seriously thinking of getting one for my hunts in Wyoming this Fall when I will be solo about 1/2 the time!!

Wyoming 556, I'm having a tough time trying to figure out your sales strategy here. :D

I did not research before I purchased this product and was completely unsatisfied with the product and serivce after I purchsed it. The company told me they would fix it by refunding the money I had wasted on the service and the defective unit. They did neither. All they did was send me a replacement unit which I will propably end up selling on e-bay. If I had done just a little bit of research I would have found out the truth about the product. I won't go into my ordeal with the company, I think plenty of others have written about their experience and the should be all you need to know. All I want to do is let potential buyers know what other customers have experienced using the spot product.

The fast find and ACR are real life saving devices. They are more expensive up front but they do not require a yearly subscription fee like the spot. IF you truly want peace of mind knowing that when you press the button someone will be on the way, I would look into the fast find or the acr. Just my opinion.

Cur dog- You are correct that I have a poor sales strategy, I guess I'd rather be honest than screw the next guy.

Nobody can hate you for that. Honesty, is a rapidly disappearing thing in this world.

Thanks guys. Interesting to hear some good and bad info about it. I'll have to research them some more and look at other similar products too.

There's another similar device by DeLorme set to be available by Oct. My wife got me the Delorme GPS and Spot bundle, but I have returned them anticipating the new In Reach. In Reach allows you to blue tooth to a phone to send and RECIEVE text messages. SImilarly, it used the much highly regarded Irridium satelite network. I think this thing is what the Spot wanted to be...

http://blog.delorme.com/category/pn-60-news/

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back