Sportsman Channel Recipe link

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Sportsman Channel asked us all to submit our favorite wild game or fish recipes to the network for a promo on cooking wild game. Since I was the lab rat Mrs. Fin used for ten years in arriving at the best elk chili on this planet, I felt compelled to include it as my entry for this effort. You can read it among the handful listed here.

http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/recipes/

Looks like some good stuff here I might have to try.

If any of you have any great recipes for the pieces of wild game that is not steaks and roast, post them up. When we are on the road filming, we always have pounds of game burger with us, but I fear the crew is tiring of my tacos. I am in need of some new options in order to prevent a mutiny in my camp.

Now that I think about it, on what other show does the host cook dinner for the crew? They best not complain.

I would have submitted Mrs. Fin's antelope lasagna recipe, but once people try it, they become as addicted to antelope hunting as I am. She keeps that recipe under close guard. You have to join us in a camp to get a taste of that amazing dish.

You have to join us in a camp to get a taste of that amazing dish.

Love me some lasagna, where do I show up?

Ground game is always in the cooler on trips, we always try and keep it simple while supporting a good hunting diet which means pasta.

I usually make a macaroni, rotelle or bowtie pasta. Brown the meat and season with salt, pepper, fennel seeds and oregano. Once browned I add in 1qt of homemade tomato sauce and bring to a simmer, then add in the cooked pasta.

The kicker is to bring along a big hunk of a good romano or parmesean cheese...the type that has salt crystals in it when you bite into a slice. Shave some of this over the pasta and you've got a pretty damn good camp meal that's high in protein, carbs and vitamins. Fennel is great for your gut (and cuts down on gas) which is an added bonus for hunting camp since many of the daytime foods are carb/electrolyte replacements (clif bars, jelly chewy snacks, gatorade/wilderness athlete/emergen-C type stuff).

We just made round one of pasta sauce last weekend. 36 quarts from 150lbs of tomatoes, we'll probably process another 200lbs in the next couple of weeks.
972307_10200644225802802_292304749_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice on the recipes, going to have to try and have the wife make that chili, since she already makes some great chili she might not be up for it. Your going to have to share that lasagna I love Italian food. We make all of our burgers, chili, spaghetti, etc with wild game. Hope that sportsman's channel keeps putting up recipes, and that you will share some more as well. Maybe even get a place on Hunt Talk to share them if there isn't one already.

Another favorite which is best made just after processing meat is goulash.

GOULASH

1/4 cup lard or sunflower oil
2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into chunks
Salt
4-5 cups chopped onions
1/3 cup sweet paprika
1 tablespoon hot paprika
2 teaspoons caraway seed, divided
2 cups venison or beef stock
2 cups water

Heat the lard over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or stewpot and brown the venison in batches. Salt the venison as it cooks. It will take 20 minutes or so for all the meat to brown. Remove the venison as it browns and set aside.

Add all the onions and turn the heat to high. Saute the onions, stirring often, until they are browned. Add the venison back, then all the other ingredients except for 1 teaspoon of caraway seed. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 3-5 hours, or until the meat wants to fall apart...sometimes a potato masher can help break up the meat.

Let the goulash cool and freeze it in a gallon ziplock or food saver bag if you have a vacuum sealer. Once in camp pull it out of the cooler, toss it in a pot, add a little water and let it reheat/thaw and serve with dumplings, bread or even pasta.

I got a deer hanging in my chiller at the moment, time to experiment with the chilli.
I sometimes grate in some dark chocolate just before serving the chilli, sounds grosse but it works!
Cheers
Richard

Another favorite which is best made just after processing meat is goulash.

GOULASH

1/4 cup lard or sunflower oil
2 pounds venison stew meat, cut into chunks
Salt
4-5 cups chopped onions
1/3 cup sweet paprika
1 tablespoon hot paprika
2 teaspoons caraway seed, divided
2 cups venison or beef stock
2 cups water

Heat the lard over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or stewpot and brown the venison in batches. Salt the venison as it cooks. It will take 20 minutes or so for all the meat to brown. Remove the venison as it browns and set aside.

Add all the onions and turn the heat to high. Saute the onions, stirring often, until they are browned. Add the venison back, then all the other ingredients except for 1 teaspoon of caraway seed. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 3-5 hours, or until the meat wants to fall apart...sometimes a potato masher can help break up the meat.

Let the goulash cool and freeze it in a gallon ziplock or food saver bag if you have a vacuum sealer. Once in camp pull it out of the cooler, toss it in a pot, add a little water and let it reheat/thaw and serve with dumplings, bread or even pasta.

Been making this for years, pretty much the same recipe. The caraway sure adds flavor. My wife doesn't like the seeds so I grind it in a coffee grinder before adding.

I'm real big on caraway right now, we make a bunch of different relishes (green pepper, red pepper, onion, green tomato) and just about all of them have some level of caraway in them.

Grilled Fresh elk tenderloin
1)kill an elk
2)call your buddies for help packing it out
3)chug cold beers in celebration of dead elk when they arrive to help pack it out
4) when you get back to town put fresh tenderloins on grill to enjoy with said buddies

It's a hit every time!

Stuffed Peppers.......delish!!!!!

Start with one lb of ground antelope, deer, elk, etc. (No extra fat needed......just ground meat)

Mix with......
1 large chopped onion (I like 2 onions)
2 eggs
15 or so chopped mushroom
1-1/2 cups instant rice (minute rice)
1 well chopped red or green pepper
32 oz of italian stewed tomatoes (2 cans)

Mix all this up with your hands.

Stuff mixture into 4 peppers. You will have extra. No worries.....just make baseball size meatballs along side the stuffed peppers.

Put in a high walled glass casserole dish that has a lid (I always use two dishes because it won't fit in one. No worries, the left-overs are awesome)

In a side dish mix 2 cans of Campbell's tomato soup with two cans of water. Mix well then pour tomato soup liquid over the meatballs and stuffed peppers.

Cover with the glass lids and bake for 75 minuets at 375 degrees. Serve with garlic bread and a vegie on the side.

Make this for a first date in your man cave and its all good!!

One more for in camp.....

One of the great things about hunting in Montana/Idaho is the abundance of mountain grouse. I keep my 22 rifle in my truck as I drive in and out of hunting areas. My hunting buddy keeps a wrist rocket (sling-shot) in his back pocket as he hikes the mountains looking for elk and deer.

Step one....kill a grouse or two.

Cut the meat into pieces about 3/4" x 3/4". Set aside.

In a fry pan, over low to medium heat, add the following.....

1/4 cup of olive oil
1 large onion finely chopped
a few smashed garlic cloves, or a few good shakes of garlic salt.
stir from time to time until the onion starts to soften and become translucent.

Game time!! Crank the heat as high as it goes!! Add the grouse and a strong shake of salt and several strong shakes of pepper. Stir as the meat cooks. Cook for only 3-4 minutes. Pull off the heat and give everyone a toothpick or fork. Eat right from the hot pan with an ice cold beer. Don't worry if the onions start to burn and blacken in the pan.....makes the flavor even better! I'm telling you this is the vey best grouse you will ever have!!!!

I like to take a stroganoff into a late season camp. I freeze the sauce in a gallon bag and thaw in hot water when ready. I have a cylinder brand tent stove with hot water res attached so its pretty easy

1-1.5 lbs venison
1 can cream of mushroom
1 cup sour cream
1 can mushroom with stems
1 large diced onion
1 minced garlic clove

Start browning meat. About half way through, add garlic and onions. Finish browning and sautéing, add a touch of salt and pepper to taste. In same pan with mid heat; add cream of mushroom, mushrooms, and a splash of beef broth. When all is heated and mixed, put to low heat and add sour cream to thicken. Season to taste, I like a bit of red pepper flakes for snort. Serve over prepared egg noodles.

This is via memory and can differ depending my mood. Seems to be a camp favorite after a hard days hunt.

Red, this is a winner!!
Only thing is... we use the golden mushroom soup. Try it if you haven't.

I like to take a stroganoff into a late season camp. I freeze the sauce in a gallon bag and thaw in hot water when ready. I have a cylinder brand tent stove with hot water res attached so its pretty easy

1-1.5 lbs venison
1 can cream of mushroom
1 cup sour cream
1 can mushroom with stems
1 large diced onion
1 minced garlic clove

Start browning meat. About half way through, add garlic and onions. Finish browning and sautéing, add a touch of salt and pepper to taste. In same pan with mid heat; add cream of mushroom, mushrooms, and a splash of beef broth. When all is heated and mixed, put to low heat and add sour cream to thicken. Season to taste, I like a bit of red pepper flakes for snort. Serve over prepared egg noodles.

This is via memory and can differ depending my mood. Seems to be a camp favorite after a hard days hunt.

Just made the Chili!

Hey Randy,

I just made a batch of your chili, but I used ground antelope instead of cubed elk steak.

It turned out awesome! It's very meaty and fairly thick (just like good chili should be). Thanks for sharing a great recipe. I'll be using this one on a regular basis going forward and the next batch will be made using some mule deer steaks.

The only difference was that I added 3/4 cup of hot green jalepeno salsa, since I like it hot!

Thanks for sharing! Anyone else try the other recipes on the sportsman page?

Junkie - Mrs. Fin will be glad to hear that. She likes hot chili, also and if left to her, she would probably follow your idea. I like it spicy, but not smokin' hot. I don't like runny chili that is nothing but beans and tomatoes.

She will be making big batches of it, then sealing it in vacuum bag, and sending it wit-h us on the road when we film this fall. All you do is boil some water, put the vacuum bag in there for 8-10 minutes and you have steaming hot homemade chili.

Glad you like it. Not sure if she is willing to share her walleye fish mix recipe, but if so, it will be a big hit. I will try to bribe that out of her.

I like the idea of the vacuum bags. I'm heading out to Wyoming on New Years day for a late season cow elk hunt and this set up would work great on a camp stove.

I spent 8 days canoeing down the Albany River ( 8 hours north of the Minnesota border) in mid July and we ate walleye almost every night. I like the Andy's brand fish breading, but a change of pace would have been good after 5 days of baked and fried walleye fillets.

If you get the approval from the Mrs., then please do send it along!

Elk Chili Recipe

Elk Chili:

3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
3 1/2 Lbs. Elk Stew Meat (Cut into 1/2" Cubes)
3 Cloves Garlic (Minced or Garlic-Pressed)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed, dry Red Peppers (Optional)
3 tsp. Chili Powder (or more, to taste)
3/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
3 Tbsp. Masa (or Flour)
1 Tbsp. Oregano (dry leaf spice)
2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1 can (13 oz.) Beef Broth
1 can (8 oz.) Tomato Sauce
1/8 cup to 1/4 cup Green Chili Salsa (1/4 cup is spicy - add more if you like it hot)
3-4 cups canned Pinto Beans (2 ea. 16 oz. Cans Pinto Beans with Liquid Drained)

Garnishes:
Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream

Heat oil in Dutch Oven pan, add the cubed elk, and mix to coat all pieces. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat loses pink color. Stir in garlic and crushed red peppers. Remove from heat.

Combine chili powder, cumin, masa (or all-purpose flour - masa is best), oregano, salt, and black pepper, and sprinkle over elk cubes until well coated. Add broth and tomato sauce to meat, stirring until blended.

Return to heat, bring almost to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer on low for 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours, or until elk is tender. Add green chili salsa and pinto beans (drained), and simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes.

Serve in warmed bowls; garnish with cheese and/or sour cream.

Walleye Recipe

WALLEYE RECIPE

Ingredients:
4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cayenne (or to taste - may add up to another 1 tsp.)
2 tsp. white pepper
4 tsp. thyme
2 tsp. dry basil
1 tsp. garlic powder (or to taste - may add up to another 2 tsp.)
1 T. paprika
1 1/2 cups flour
4 walleye filets
2 T. butter
2 T. oil

1. Combine all the herbs and spices. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
2. Melt butter and oil in large skillet until the butter foams.
3. Lightly pat each walleye filet dry with paper towels. Dredge each filet in the flour mixture and shake off the excess.
4. Fry the filets over medium heat until golden brown (3-4 minutes). Then flip the filets and fry the other side, until done (fish should flake easily).

Twice Cooked Pig Leg
I love pulled pork, but it's tough to do with wild boar so I experimented as to how I could get delicious, smokey, stringy pork. First I smoke a pig leg for about two hours, then I opt for a "poor man's sous vide". This is how the pork stays moist and succulent.

Rub:
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup paprika
1/4 cup ground pepper
2 tbs garlic powder

For the bag:
1 onion
1 red pepper
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup olive oil (alternatively, butter, back fat, bacon)

Set the pig leg out to come up to room temp, rub it then put it on the smoker at 200 degrees for an hour or two.

Once the smoking round has completed, put the pig leg into a food saver bag with the onions, peppers, bay and oil/fat. Toss it in a roaster pan filled with water at 200-225 degrees and let roast for 8-12 hours.

After the 8-12 hours remove it, and let it rest in the bag for about a half hour. Grab some forks and pull away.

Rubbed
1554516_10201932829137080_521419462_n.jpg

Smoked
1797502_10201933032062153_956830606_n.jpg

Bagged

Pulled
1549211_10201937712299156_1350336056_n.jpg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads