iowabuck

Followed up my non-typical with this giant 😁

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1445310566466.jpg
    FB_IMG_1445310566466.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 577
IMG_20151229_184523982.jpg

Also spoiled late muzzy 2015

Thank-you everyone will post more pics later. These are private deer. Have more harvest pics and pretty neat trail cam pics.

theyre not hunting public....

You would be suprised how many big deer get killed on public ground here in Iowa. I am not saying these were though I don't know.

I hunt both one thing I will say on this site is it is looked down on if you kill something on private. It doesn't diminish the accomplishment to me. I enjoy hunting both and I will continue.

You would be suprised how many big deer get killed on public
I hunt both one thing I will say on this site is it is looked down on if you kill something on private. It doesn't diminish the accomplishment to me. I enjoy hunting both and I will continue.

90% of the battle in the Midwest while deer hunting is the dirt where you hunt. Generally speaking people who do well on private year after year are doing things right, putting the time in and what not, but its not quite the same as shooting those deer on public. Private means fewer variables to control and many more chances to make mistakes, learn and then do it right the next time around.

Clearly the dynamic when you post to a western-centric hunting forum about Midwest whitetails the views from hunters who hunt a state with 50% public land is a little different than guys in a state with 4% public land.

Private means fewer variables to control and many more chances to make mistakes, learn and then do it right the next time around

Point in case:

I was on day 8 in a row of full day sits on public land her in OH and finally got some luck. A dandy of a buck, 140"+, just dogged a doe down near me. I got to full draw when he went behind a big oak. I'm there waiting for him to step out from behind the tree, instead he bolts.... 30sec later here comes 2 guys squirrel hunting. They waved at me and I bit my tongue and waved back.

Granted it's not shooting fish in the barrel either but guys I know that hunt hundreds if not thousands of acres of private here in ohio, they won't even reach for their bow at something under 150".

Anywho.... Nice bucks! Congrats to you!

I shot my first mounter buck on public in clanton creek public hunting 141 and some change. Followed that with a 138 on deer Creek public. The following hunting season I got lucky and shot a monster 163 at Sandy creek public ground in decature county. The next couple seasons were dry as I held out. Then I was being followed used and stole from. I stopped hunting public and gathered private ground to hunt only to have famous deer farmers with big money lease it up. The blood sucking wanna be hunters did not get it all though. We have hunted the same ground for some time now. I also have harvested 2 bull elk in island park archery zone in Idaho and one forked horn muley. I only wanted to share some family success and fun I sure didn't mean to come off cocky or rude. My apologies if I have.

You didn't come off rude some people just got to dig for their own benefit. Very nice deer

We all share the same passion and love for deer hunting on here whether you hunt public or private! Congrats on some great bucks and hard earned success, keep em' coming!

Those bucks would definitely spoil me. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
90% of the battle in the Midwest while deer hunting is the dirt where you hunt. Generally speaking people who do well on private year after year are doing things right, putting the time in and what not, but its not quite the same as shooting those deer on public. Private means fewer variables to control and many more chances to make mistakes, learn and then do it right the next time around.

Clearly the dynamic when you post to a western-centric hunting forum about Midwest whitetails the views from hunters who hunt a state with 50% public land is a little different than guys in a state with 4% public land.

I would still argue it depends. State to state is different. WI is very tough on public ground, Iowa while it has a lot less I think you can do well here but you have to be a little strategic about it.

Always hunt early muzzy. Some say it sucks because crops are in but I can tell you it is better than the gun seasons or the late. So much less pressure. They only sell 7,500 tags. Sorry non resident guys it isn't available to you.

Bow hunt, again the pressure isn't that bad. Look for spots that A other people don't want to work to get to or B think it isn't worth hunting. I have one spot that looks really hard to hunt but is actually really easy if you have a plan to get the deer out. Be creative.

If a guy has a littel sense about him and wants to put the time and effort you could put yourself in position to shoot some 150 plus deer yearly on public ground here. It would take a lot of time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back