Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spend my money on a chronograph

Garmin Xero, or Magnetospeed Sporter if you're on a budget. With the Garmin's release, the Labradar and Magnetospeed V3 have become much harder to recommend.

For the most part, I wouldn't bother with the rest of the market if they we free, I don't trust their accuracy enough.

Getting the Garmin soon myself. Looks like Labradar has come out / is coming out with a unit that looks exactly like the Garmin. Kinda like the Livescope technology....everyone else will be a step behind Garmin.

There’s a published article online written comparing chronographs by Bryan Litz that I’d recommend. Bryan is a real life rocket engineer that worked for NASA, and is now the chief ballistician for Berger bullets.
The article is pretty interesting. After reading, I bought a magnetospeed based on the accuracy. There are limitations with it, such as barrel length on a revolver, and not working on semi auto handguns or bows.
The Garmin chronograph wasn’t out yet, and the Labradar had issues when it was introduced. It was also expensive, which is why I went magnetospeed. I already had a ProChrono that did everything the magnetospeed couldn’t.

Looking at the Magneto Sporter, but not sure how I feel about it being strapped to the gun. Would prefer to not break the bank, but I get that measuring tools are money well spent.

3, 2, 1.... GO!
Yep the Garmin is a sweet little setup. I replaced my original Caldwell with it this year. Easy to setup, so compact I just keep it in my range bag so its always with me. I don't have alot of use with it yet but so far its been reliable too. Really happy with it.

A reliably accurate unit that doesn't strap to the barrel can be more convenient IF you don't shoot at a public range that makes set up difficult or impossible. I use a magneto speed just to get accurate readings at the indoor range i sometimes visit. Can't use it while confirming group size or zero since it causes around a 6" POI shift with all my sporter weight guns.

I had a Magnetospeed and there was definitely a change in accuracy when it was on. Otherwise it worked great. They didn't have them at the time but you can get a adapter to mount on your arca rail or picatinny rail ot mount the device. I went to Labradar and still have it. Some people have troubles with the alignment but I never did. The app, while always worked for me, also gave people a ton of connectivity issues. My advice is if you got lots of cash go for the Garmin, otherwise there is a ton of used Labradars for sale that people are basically giving away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back