Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Spend my money on a chronograph

perma

Looking at the Magneto Sporter, but not sure how I feel about it being strapped to the gun. Would prefer to not break the bank, but I get that measuring tools are money well spent.

3, 2, 1.... GO!

In this spot too. Ill go garmin over magneto speed for archery
I don't know that I'm invested in archery enough to get a chronograph that accommodates both. Then again, I'm not aware of any chrono besides the magneto that doesn't accommodate archery....

I have the magneto V3 and it’s served me just fine over the last few years. All the cool kids are selling their Labradars and going with the garmin. If I didn’t have one I would go garmin but see no reason to upgrade rn

I have the magneto V3 and it’s served me just fine over the last few years. All the cool kids are selling their Labradars and going with the garmin. If I didn’t have one I would go garmin but see no reason to upgrade rn
what cartridge do you shoot with it? I worry that it may not be able to handle the recoil of larger magnum guns.

LabRadar was the de facto standard but seems to have been taken over by the Garmin Xero

I have a Magentospeed (V1 I think) that I'll make a great deal on. Works great. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

LabRadar was the de facto standard but seems to have been taken over by the Garmin Xero
^this. My LabRadar works fine but the Garmin seems much easier to set up and operate. Would recommend against the Magnetospeed or any other bayonet-style chrono if you are wanting to do accuracy tests at the same time as your velocity tests.

what cartridge do you shoot with it? I worry that it may not be able to handle the recoil of larger magnum guns.
5.56/22creed/6creedmore/6.5 creed/6.5prc/7rm/30-06/28 Nosler/ apa brakes, area 419 brakes, nomad 30 suppressor, sandman suppressor, no muzzle devise, never had a problem.

Probably the biggest was 28 Nosler pushing 195’s at 3100, no brake, 10 lb gun, didn’t have any problems

I have a Caldwell that serves me just fine. I think it was $120. It's easy to set up on a tripod. If I had any gripe, it would be variable day to day readings. It seems the speed can vary up to 30 fps depending on time of day, if it's not set up exactly level, or the distance from the gun isn't exact every time. I rarely take the time to make sure those are exact. It's close enough for what I need.

I have a Caldwell that serves me just fine. I think it was $120. It's easy to set up on a tripod. If I had any gripe, it would be variable day to day readings. It seems the speed can vary up to 30 fps depending on time of day, if it's not set up exactly level, or the distance from the gun isn't exact every time. I rarely take the time to make sure those are exact. It's close enough for what I need.
For the money, not a bad choice, IMHO.

Not even worth debating. Garmin Xero. It has made everything obsolete. Ya, it's that good.

I own one. It has made the process of using a chrono actually fun. Stupid easy to use and dead nuts accurate. App works flawlessly as well.

No way you want the magneto! How are you going to check velocity on a snub nose revolver? Or your bows arrows? I use my chrono for handguns and my bow as well as rifles. A magnetic one simply would've been a waste of my money because I would've had to buy a second one anyhow. I use the standard Caldwell chrono with a cheap 3 leg tripod stand. Super easy to setup in a minute and works from my 290 fps arrows to my 3200 fps 7mm mag, accurately enough to show a few fps deviation even at those extremes of 290 or 3200.

For what its worth, my Caldwell is highly repeatable. Giving the exact same readings day to day or at different times. I got to do just that shooting my bow making tweaks for a few days setting it up. YMMV

5.56/22creed/6creedmore/6.5 creed/6.5prc/7rm/30-06/28 Nosler/ apa brakes, area 419 brakes, nomad 30 suppressor, sandman suppressor, no muzzle devise, never had a problem.

Probably the biggest was 28 Nosler pushing 195’s at 3100, no brake, 10 lb gun, didn’t have any problems
Nice, very nice. I get around 3200 out of my 7mm rem mag pushing 162s. I bet that 195 would be a hammer. If only remington made 700 CDLs in 28 nosler

If you’re starting fresh or from way down the quality line, get the Garmin.

If you already have a V3 or Labradar, the Garmin is an upgrade, but not necessarily a gotta have it upgrade.

I’m realky happy with my Garmin. Works every time, batteries last forever (even when it’s 6 degrees out), and it’s simple to set up and work with. I highly recommend one if you’re in the market.

Garmin Xero. There's some question about whether it uses one StDev Excel function or another, but easy to plug the numbers in to Excel and choose your fav StDev fnc.

And it's incredibly small, fits in a tiny box.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back