Speed vs bloodshot

Snopes has got nothing on you bro! Look at you go!

BTW, a boneless meat yield of 129 lbs. equates to a live weight of about 400 lbs. Where you killing 400 lb. deer? Inquiring minds want to know.
I have killed one(if 129lbs of boneless equals 400lbs live) My brother killed one bigger. Of the 12 mule deer I’ve killed, the second biggest yielded 104lbs. My wife’s 107lbs. My smallest yielded 89lbs and second smallest 98lbs. My biggest yielded 129lbs and my brothers 137lbs. As you can see, those two stood out substantially considering that the 12 other mule deer that I’ve process yielded between 89lbs and 107lbs of boneless meat, and the 89lbs was quite the outlier as well considering the second smallest was 98lbs. So out of 14 mule deer bucks that I’ve processed, 11 yielded between 98lbs and 107lbs. In fact, the first 12 yielded 107lbs or less, so if you had told me before my brother and I had killed the two heavy ones, that a mule deer buck could yield 129lbs plus, I would have been skeptical. I’m not sure that I’ll ever kill one that heavy again. That was my brother’s first ever deer hunt.

For comparison I got a little over 180lbs each from two cow elk and 264lbs from a bull. The whitetail doe from the photo in the post you quoted field dressed 64lbs. I didn’t weigh the meat, but probably 28-32lbs.

For clarity, I’m not weighing packaged meat. I’m weighing deboned meat before final trimming. There is fat, silver skin and tendon that gets removed, but was part of those weights. Weighing packaged meat would result in a slightly lower number. Also, I simply triple boneless meat for live weight estimation putting the two biggest bucks I’ve processed at 387lbs and 411lbs. An old man that hunts in the area where the two heaviest were killed told me that he killed one weighing 435lbs.

My brothers 137lbs and my 129lbs. Both had access to irrigated agriculture.

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpeg
    IMG_4474.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
With PRB I have never had issues with blood shot meat. But, everything has to be within 100 yards or so.

David
NM

I have killed one(if 129lbs of boneless equals 400lbs live) My brother killed one bigger. Of the 12 mule deer I’ve killed, the second biggest yielded 104lbs. My wife’s 107lbs. My smallest yielded 89lbs and second smallest 98lbs. My biggest yielded 129lbs and my brothers 137lbs. As you can see, those two stood out substantially considering that the 12 other mule deer that I’ve process yielded between 89lbs and 107lbs of boneless meat, and the 89lbs was quite the outlier as well considering the second smallest was 98lbs. So out of 14 mule deer bucks that I’ve processed, 11 yielded between 98lbs and 107lbs. In fact, the first 12 yielded 107lbs or less, so if you had told me before my brother and I had killed the two heavy ones, that a mule deer buck could yield 129lbs plus, I would have been skeptical. I’m not sure that I’ll ever kill one that heavy again. That was my brother’s first ever deer hunt.

For comparison I got a little over 180lbs each from two cow elk and 264lbs from a bull. The whitetail doe from the photo in the post you quoted field dressed 64lbs. I didn’t weigh the meat, but probably 28-32lbs.

For clarity, I’m not weighing packaged meat. I’m weighing deboned meat before final trimming. There is fat, silver skin and tendon that gets removed, but was part of those weights. Weighing packaged meat would result in a slightly lower number. Also, I simply triple boneless meat for live weight estimation putting the two biggest bucks I’ve processed at 387lbs and 411lbs. An old man that hunts in the area where the two heaviest were killed told me that he killed one weighing 435lbs.

My brothers 137lbs and my 129lbs. Both had access to irrigated agriculture.
Those are studs alright. Irrigated ag sure helps grow 'em big! I shot the largest deer of my life last November - an estimated 300 lb. muley in SE Colorado. Got 90# of boneless meat off him. So if you guys are taking 400 lb. deer, then that stands to reason.

My "1/4" comment came from years of seeing 100# Texas deer with both shoulders blown to bits. In that case yes, it is about 1/4 of the meat that is lost.

Those are studs alright. Irrigated ag sure helps grow 'em big! I shot the largest deer of my life last November - an estimated 300 lb. muley in SE Colorado. Got 90# of boneless meat off him. So if you guys are taking 400 lb. deer, then that stands to reason.

My "1/4" comment came from years of seeing 100# Texas deer with both shoulders blown to bits. In that case yes, it is about 1/4 of the meat that is lost.
I’ve shot 10 whitetails, processed 3 of my wife’s, and seen a handful of friends whitetails get field dressed. None were very big even for whitetails. While I don’t have weights on them, I have a really difficult time with any of them wasting 1/4. More meat than I wanted to lose a few times? Absolutely. In my experience, a 100lb deer is quite a bit thinner than a 300lbs deer. The same diameter hole destroys fewer pounds of meat. I just can’t feature 1/4 of the edible meat on an animal being contained in the shoulders. On a REALLY small animal I suppose I can imagine the same diameter wound channel destroying everything from the backstraps down to the brisket, and MAYBE wasting 1/4. That just seems crazy high to me. I honestly feel like if I had hit that 90ish pound doe right in the shoulder, and blown a baseball sized hole out the opposite shoulder that I would have lost less than 1/4 of the meat. That said, 1/4 of a 30lb yield isn’t a ton of meat damage.

Stay off the shoulder and it’s hard to lose too much not matter what bullet you’re shooting, but I’ve hit farther forward and farther rearward of what I was intending to. Another reason to stay off the shoulder is that a flat iron may well be my favorite piece of meat.

Last edited:
Back