Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Special draw

WildWill

I'm looking at cashing in my 3 PP this year in Wyoming. In the regular draw 31 is the only unit that fits what I'm looking for but the special draw opens up a lot of choices 32,48,73 and more. Seems like a lot of coin for a antelope tag what do you guys think worth it or not?

Last edited:
Depends upon how badly you want a tag. In many areas the NR special guarantees you a tag. Last year for area 31 there were 3 available with 20 first choice apps. Not good odds IMO. Can't remember if it was online at WGFD or an older booklet, but they stated outright that those are usually guaranteed because most hunters aren't dumb enough the pay the extra $200 or whatever the premium is now. You're right tho, a lot to pay for a lope.

The only reason I would pay for a special tag is if I had to get into a unit that I knew had a B&C buck on a ranch that I had access to. Otherwise, there are plenty of opportunities to get into antelope if you just want the experience, meat, and don't care about inches.

@WildWill What exactly are you looking for? I may have a suggestion via PM for your 3 points if you're interested, just depending on what you're after.

If you are only going every other year or so I definitely think it's worth it. You are going to have fun regardless but getting into a unit with a better access can make it even more enjoyable. Good luck in the drawing!

I also have 3 points and decided to not pay the special. This was based on researching the units that were 100% draw last year with 3 points. We'll see.

The only reason I would pay for a special tag is if I had to get into a unit that I knew had a B&C buck on a ranch that I had access to. Otherwise, there are plenty of opportunities to get into antelope if you just want the experience, meat, and don't care about inches.

People who plan to book with an outfitter might want to up their odds of drawing a tag. The NR special is one way.

Depends upon how badly you want a tag. In many areas the NR special guarantees you a tag. Last year for area 31 there were 3 available with 20 first choice apps. Not good odds IMO. Can't remember if it was online at WGFD or an older booklet, but they stated outright that those are usually guaranteed because most hunters aren't dumb enough the pay the extra $200 or whatever the premium is now. You're right tho, a lot to pay for a lope.
First, you are quoting random odds here, not odds from the PP draw where 3pts guarantees a tag in 31. Second, your paraphrasing of a quote from the WGFD about the special draw, is nothing like anything I have read on the website or anywhere else.

Truth is, if $200 gets him to any of those other 3 areas mentioned with the points he has, he will not only have a better chance at a bigger buck, but he will have access to hundreds of thousands more public acres to hunt. Sounds like a no brainer to me...

JM77 is on the button with his response to the post by antelopedundee about the wrong Draw being quoted, along with the follow up comment in that same post. When looking at chances to draw the first choice tag You don't even look at the Random Draw until you check the PP Draw results that are held first. 31-1 was actually a 100% draw with <2 PPS in both the Regular PP and Special PP Draws last year.

I'm looking at cashing in my 3 PP this year in Wyoming. In the regular draw 31 is the only unit that fits what I'm looking for but the special draw opens up a lot of choices 32,48,73 and more. Seems like a lot of coin for a antelope tag what do you guys think worth it or not?
32,48, and 73 are better, but not $300 better. You should spend more time researching units IMO.

32,48, and 73 are better, but not $300 better. You should spend more time researching units IMO.
My wife would disagree with your last statement. I spend plenty of time researching units I said 31 was the only one that fits "my plans" with 3PP in the regular draw.

One limiting factor is I have to be back in Oklahoma by October 2nd so I need a unit that's hunt starts in September the earlier the better. Within 2 hours of Casper so I can visit my cousin and get a home cooked meal and hot shower. And of course a unit I can spend more time hunting for a antelope than hunting for public land.

I did the special last year & was happy I did. It's hard for me to get away from work & family so when I get the time I figure what's a little extra money for a better hunt.

First, you are quoting random odds here, not odds from the PP draw where 3pts guarantees a tag in 31. Second, your paraphrasing of a quote from the WGFD about the special draw, is nothing like anything I have read on the website or anywhere else.

Truth is, if $200 gets him to any of those other 3 areas mentioned with the points he has, he will not only have a better chance at a bigger buck, but he will have access to hundreds of thousands more public acres to hunt. Sounds like a no brainer to me...

Can't recall where I read it [wouldn't have posted it if I hadn't seen it] and I'm sure that they didn't use the word dumb, but the gist was that most won't spring for the extra $288 for a lope/deer tag. $629 is a LOT to pay for a lope that won't be marginally better than many others in the state. plus adding in $30, $60 or $90 for preference points is like adding insult to injury. But to each there own I guess.

When you have thousands of dollars tied up in guns, boots, camo, optics, travel expenses, etc it doesn't really seem like that big of a deal as far as another $288 if you look at the big picture.

Listen to the people who understand the draw like JM, some of the other info given in simply not accurate.

How was it better just because your license cost more?

Considering how much better an area can be had by WildWill paying special price, it's apparent Dundee just wants a chance to kill any antelope and doesn't care about the quality of the hunt or the buck.

If WildWill gets a 31 tag he will be hunting the one and only HMA with half of the area hunters. Oh, there is some state land too, that's where the other half of the hunters go. Area 31 is 90% private where any good numbers of antelope are. He will kill one, but don't be picky.

How was it better just because your license cost more?

I thought you said you pay a trespass fee to hunt unit 29 or somewhere around there.. How is that better than paying for the special tag? I'd rather my money go toward sound wildlife management than line a wealthy rancher's pockets.

Considering how much better an area can be had by WildWill paying special price, it's apparent Dundee just wants a chance to kill any antelope and doesn't care about the quality of the hunt or the buck.

If WildWill gets a 31 tag he will be hunting the one and only HMA with half of the area hunters. Oh, there is some state land too, that's where the other half of the hunters go. Area 31 is 90% private where any good numbers of antelope are. He will kill one, but don't be picky.

I realize there is no right or wrong answer here everyone has to decide whether it's worth it for themselves. Personally I'd pay the special to avoid the scenario above don't care about shooting a huge buck but prefer to not be crowded on limited public ground. I'm gonna keep looking and if nothing fits the special will work of course I'll wait for quotas to be released before applying.

Thanks for the help.
Will

If I just wanted to kill a lope I'd buy doe tags for nearly a 10th of the cost of a buck tag, duh. I could buy NR 4 doe tags in the leftover drawing and still have gas money left. Where I go, I could also buy 2 "buck" tags for the cost of 1 NR special. I was merely curious if by better hunt he actually meant the difference between getting a tag or not getting one. I suppose that it also depends upon the reason that one wants to hunt in a particular area.

I thought you said you pay a trespass fee to hunt unit 29 or somewhere around there.. How is that better than paying for the special tag? I'd rather my money go toward sound wildlife management than line a wealthy rancher's pockets.

I didn't pay a fee last year and they guy isn't wealthy AFAIK. He said that he didn't have many antelope so he didn't take any hunters. Knowing how they move around, his population shift was only temporary. FWIW I did see some nice bucks on his place.

Wonder what his other hunters did if they didn't have a plan B.

Last edited:
Back