Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Spearfishing Big Island

Yooper906

Wife and I are headed to the Big Island in March! We are wanting to do spearfishing for a day or two. We are certified divers, but have never tried free-diving with a spear in our hands. Anybody have any experience and or recommendations for a spearfishing charter?

Thanks!
Yooper

I have no experience with any of the Hawaiian Islands other than shore dives, but good luck and now is a good time to start practicing your breath hold and getting relaxed under water while holding it. I hope you return with some great stories. Don't know if you can find any deep water where you are that is warm enough to dive this time of year but getting some depth will help. Be careful though,

Figure some means to attach a GoPro. It will be great for snorkel, dives and hopefully free dive speared fish.

Look forward to the pics or hopefully video. Best with your spearfishing adventure!

Can’t help with spear fishing charters, but my brother and I tried spear fishing for the first time over Thanksgiving in Jamaica. Can definitely see how addicting it could become. We had so much fun and were going several times a day by the end of our trip. As @Sytes mentioned, a GoPro makes it even that much more fun. Good luck!

Don't know if you can find any deep water where you are that is warm enough to dive this time of year but getting some depth will help.
Gonna be tough to find deep warm water this time of year where I live!

Figure some means to attach a GoPro. It will be great for snorkel, dives and hopefully free dive speared fish.

Look forward to the pics or hopefully video. Best with your spearfishing adventure!
We dove in Honduras and Cozumel last year! I have some cool GoPro footage. Just haven’t got around to editing it. Maybe I’ll put something together during winter months and share it!

We dove in Honduras and Cozumel last year! I have some cool GoPro footage. Just haven’t got around to editing it. Maybe I’ll put something together during winter months and share it!
Try ShotCut. It's free video editing and a good quantity of YouTube video tutorials to understand functions to create a YouTube worthy video.

Best to your adventure!

Sounds like a blast! The only thing I've heard is that its exhausting. I think there was a meat eater episode where he went to the big island and spearfished. There was some great info there.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back