Spain hunt picture

MTGunner

Just arrived home from Spain on a 10 day journey. I took a very good Gredos Ibex ram, a Beceite Ibex ram, a Gredos ewe not pictured, a red deer and a Mouflon sheep. I had to use the outfitters rifle as getting a permit to use mine was a true cluster. MTG

Attachments

• 3B31B7E1-C47A-435C-BCD3-242AFFDAF71D.png
    3B31B7E1-C47A-435C-BCD3-242AFFDAF71D.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 02B5EFF4-8DCB-4C3A-977E-05BB037AF015.png
    02B5EFF4-8DCB-4C3A-977E-05BB037AF015.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 94
  • AD8C4D87-611E-48AC-9D93-EF316A347851.png
    AD8C4D87-611E-48AC-9D93-EF316A347851.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 88
  • D75DADFE-C888-4C02-B307-68BB712A810E.png
    D75DADFE-C888-4C02-B307-68BB712A810E.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 84
  • 8AE55C90-52D8-495F-8485-306F66B30472.png
    8AE55C90-52D8-495F-8485-306F66B30472.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 91
Gotta tell you all about the Gredos ram that I took at a laser ranged 300+ meters. I explained about having to use the outfitters Blaser 8x68 rifle. We were in the mountains early, extreme country. The outfitter, Dani Marti had information that there was a good ram in this area. We set up on a ridge early in the AM to glass this ridge face where he had been the previous day. Dani viewed him on a precipice through his spotting scope. It literally took me minutes to find this ram. I had lots of time to set up, get my breath under control and squeeze the trigger. Down he went into the most miserable cover one can visualize. Had to have a mountaineer come in to recover the ram. I was very unsettled thinking I may not recover him. But, finally found and are the two pictures without my ugly mug in them.
The picture of me and the Beceite Ibex was a good hunt. Shortly we spotted a group of three rams going up into a drainage that was not great to stalk. I spotted a lone ram coming down the ridge face. We repositioned and one and done at approximately 130 meters. BTW, not enamored with the Blaser rifle tang safety. Believe it to be dangerous.
For anyone that desires a hunt of this nature I say go for it. Spain is an old country with great culture, food and wonderful people. This was our third trip, first hunting, to Spain. We took in the Prado art museum in Madrid. Toured the Templar’s church in northern Aragon province. Ate adventurous Spanish cuisine. Cannot tell you how much my wife and I love this country. It was one of our most favorite adventures. MTG

Attachments

• EF962AA6-11CB-438A-BE33-231D697AD0A6.png
    EF962AA6-11CB-438A-BE33-231D697AD0A6.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 23
  • BD38A2BC-D360-4173-BF76-DF3044004545.png
    BD38A2BC-D360-4173-BF76-DF3044004545.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
To anyone who has ever contemplated a hunt of this nature I say go for it. This is NOT a dress rehearsal. I have had friends that could have done these trips but waited too late and age, health and other poor excuses crept up much too quickly. I am 75 years old. My bucket list long. My desire immense. Go for it! MTG

Great write up and hunt! Ever since I saw a mouflon ram on Hawaii's Lanaii Island I've wanted to hunt one. I've also thought quite a bit about ibex hunting in Spain. Reading your report and seeing your age, gives me hope.

What were the hassels for bringing your own rifle?

I see your in NW Montana. I used to live near Fortine.

I had to obtain an importation permit from the consulate of Spain in San Francisco. Submitted the proper paperwork, extensive paperwork, better than 90 days prior to travel time. The day before we were to leave I received an email asking for a Montana hunting license. My MT hunting license, notarized hunting license, was submitted with the original paperwork. I tried repeatedly to contact the SF consulate many, many times. No one would answer nor reply to my repeated emails. The $50 fee was forfeited. I have thought about sending a scathing complaint letter to the Spanish consulate but doubt it would do any good. It would make my opinions heard.
Quite frankly it was easier to travel without my rifle. But, using an unfamiliar rifle did have its problems. I crawled the scope on the Gredos ram and scoped myself good. The outfitter had a Blaser, left handed 8x68. It did the job very well. Do NOT like the tang safety. But, got the job done.
Can’t wait to get my mounts back. Bob Maier taxidermy in Butte will do the work. Has done at least 18 mounts so far and counting. MTG

Spain is near the top of my destination wish list, not necessarily to hunt, just to visit, eat, and drink.
Spain and Portugal are great for visiting. Good for drinking. Eating? Eh, salty dinners due to use of dried or cured meat and fish and aged cheeses. Desserts are quite tasty so I never lose weight there. I will spend a couple of months a year there and crave some on the meals though hard for me to stay excited for 60 suppers. France has food I never tire of but to eat it you have to go to, well, France.

Spain and Portugal are great for visiting. Good for drinking. Eating? Eh, salty dinners due to use of dried or cured meat and fish and aged cheeses. Desserts are quite tasty so I never lose weight there. I will spend a couple of months a year there and crave some on the meals though hard for me to stay excited for 60 suppers. France has food I never tire of but to eat it you have to go to, well, France.
I've heard there's a 2-3x price increase between France and Spain

I've heard there's a 2-3x price increase between France and Spain
France isn’t all that expensive outside of Paris. Haven’t been to Spain in many years, so can’t comment there. Portugal is where the real bargains are to be had though. Long meals with lots of wine and fresh seafood can be had for well under €40.

Looks like OP had an amazing adventure. Were you in the Pyrenees or another range in Spain?

Congratulations on the excellent adventure!

I am trying to plan a trip for the wife and I and one of our favorite couples. Looking at Barcelona and the Portugal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back