Caribou Gear

South Dakota Pheasants

marshman

Ok, got a kind of trip of a lifetime coming up; Pheasants in South Dakota near Homer. Being some 1,300 miles away on the Pacific coast I have never done this. I am taking my 2 year old lab Ryker on the trip. He is doing well retrieving ducks and geese but has never seen or smelled a pheasant before. We do have them in Western WA too wet. I got some pheasant sent and a canvas dummy to introduce sent.
I am running him pretty hard every day as usual so he and I are in good shape. He is also trained with an electronic collar so control is not a problem at all.
Am I missing anything major for my pups sake?

The biggest thing I stress with people I bird hunt with who have dogs is to ensure the dog has obedience. That way when you cross a rabbit (or coyote) you can keep it with you and not have it take off. That is just one item.

I wouldn't worry about the different scent. Shouldn't be an issue.

Bring the ingredients for skunk spray. Especially if he’ll be riding in the cab with you.
Oh - now that I had not thought of! good. Two weeks ago we had our first brush with a porcupine, lucked out on that one 11 small quills on one ankle that all came out.

Oh - now that I had not thought of! good. Two weeks ago we had our first brush with a porcupine, lucked out on that one 11 small quills on one ankle that all came out.
Dawn dishsoap, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda. Take some iodine, Benadryl, and some saline eyewash.

Edit: Take some rubber gloves for applying the skunk wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is doing well retrieving ducks and geese but has never seen or smelled a pheasant before.

He'll pick it up.
Yep - for reasons that are far beyond my comprehension - bird dogs seem to be able to 'smell' gamebirds of any variety whether they've come across them before or not. And it's reinforced when their owner gets excited/shoots, praises, etc. A better dog guy than me (that's not a high bar, but this guy is a hell of a dog trainer) said the dog takes notice and remembers those 'smells' with the positive reinforcement after. With pheasants, that reinforcement is a little disjointed since you usually can't shoot half the birds they flush/point (and I still see well-seasoned bird dogs appear flabbergasted when a hen flys away unmolested after a beautiful piece of work by the dog). Yelling 'Hen!' in a sharp (negative) tone isn't just to alert your party, but the pup as well.

My new pup has only hunted mountain grouse so far. In these first few weeks of his 'OJT', I can see it in his body language and movements as he has come across pine squirrels, chipmunks, camp robbers, miscellaneous songbirds, bull elk, ravens, etc for the first time and susses out whether they should mean anything to him. These first few outings I've been using a lot of 'Leave It'. The same words I say when he tries to eat poop, roll in dead deer, etc.

Dawn dishsoap, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda. Take some iodine, Benadryl, and some saline eyewash.

I totally agree with all above but I would add to make sure you carry plenty of water, don't let your pup drink out of cattle tanks or slough water. Lots of parasites' just waiting to come home with you. If it is hot, and more than likely it will be your pup will drink lots!!!

Attachments

• Cole - Ivy South Dakota.JPG
    Cole - Ivy South Dakota.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 10
Can't help with the dog but South Dakota pheasant is a blast. This will be my 13th fall.

I used the above recipe on my dog after she was sprayed by a skunk and it worked great. By far the best smell neutralizer concoction I've used.

I totally agree with all above but I would add to make sure you carry plenty of water, don't let your pup drink out of cattle tanks or slough water. Lots of parasites' just waiting to come home with you. If it is hot, and more than likely it will be your pup will drink lots!!!
Yes this, I plan on bringing his water in my vest, he drinks a lot anyway.

Never got into skunk trouble before Thanks, I even got all of that don't have to mask up and go shopping!

Might consider bringing an ointment or salve for the dogs nose. It will likely get cut up and rubbed raw from the grass. Hope you have a great time!

no words of wisdom here just offering props for a fine looking pup. Max that goes for you too that yellow lab strikes a cord with me

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back