Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

South Dakota Pheasants

SD is a blast! ditto on the skunk kit and first aid kits; have a great time; our opener is this weekend, cant wait!

One tip I would offer, that is tough to replicate on other bird species, is that pheasant love to run, and end up leading your dog out of range. Keeping a young dog in range can be a challenge to start with, and you don't want to frustrate them, so you have to find a balance of letting your pup learn to track birds and managing the dog to keep him in range. As for running roosters, if you get the sense that your dog is chasing a running bird, call him off back to you, give it a couple of minutes and then let the dog resume the track. Once a pheasant has been chased, and then they are allowed to stop/get in cover, they most likely wont run a again and will flush when you get back up to them.

You might want to think about an orange vest. They help protect their underside from getting all scratched up plus visibility.

Didn't read everything, but a few pointers:

If it's going to be hot(this weekend they're calling for 80's around here) bring over heating supplies, water and ISO alcohol for cooling off in an emergency. Thermometer as well to check overheating.

Skid plate is not a bad idea depending on what type of habitat you'll be in.

I bring a small first aide kit, mainly for the dog. Barb wire can ruin a hunt in a hurry.

Know where a vet is in the area, and have their number in case of emergency that your first aide kit can't fix.

Pup should pick up on pheasants quick enough I would suspect.

That would cover you pretty dang well from a dogs perspective I think

Be careful removing porcupine quills if your dog gets into one. They have a barb on the end which can break off and remain in the dog. If he does get into a porcupine and gets more than a few quills I would go to a vet clinic, Groton Vet, will be the closest and get an antibiotic. Homer is a township and not a town.
wmd

Once again thanks for the help with safety ideas, exactly what i'm after.
My bad poor name translation on a weak phone call... Hosmer is the place.

I always carried booties for my labs when hunting out west. If his feet aren’t conditioned they’ll get torn up after multiple days of running thru the fields

I always carried booties for my labs when hunting out west. If his feet aren’t conditioned they’ll get torn up after multiple days of running thru the fields
Yes, i was thinking about this last night. I've been running him with my bike every night on the chip sealed road county road but I am still concerned about it.

Yes, i was thinking about this last night. I've been running him with my bike every night on the chip sealed road county road but I am still concerned about it.
Conditioned feet will only be conditioned for so long. I run my dog almost every day year round and he has about as "conditioned" feet as you can have. That being said, he is currently nursing his cactus-laden paws from this mornings hunt. Boots are great if your dog will tolerate them. Mine will not. I try and apply Musher's Secret to the pads every evening after a hunt.

Conditioned feet will only be conditioned for so long. I run my dog almost every day year round and he has about as "conditioned" feet as you can have. That being said, he is currently nursing his cactus-laden paws from this mornings hunt. Boots are great if your dog will tolerate them. Mine will not. I try and apply Musher's Secret to the pads every evening after a hunt.
Yes, got some booties for him, and working on that ,also got some ointment.

Didn't read everything, but a few pointers:

If it's going to be hot(this weekend they're calling for 80's around here) bring over heating supplies, water and ISO alcohol for cooling off in an emergency. Thermometer as well to check overheating.

Skid plate is not a bad idea depending on what type of habitat you'll be in.

I bring a small first aide kit, mainly for the dog. Barb wire can ruin a hunt in a hurry.

Know where a vet is in the area, and have their number in case of emergency that your first aide kit can't fix.

Pup should pick up on pheasants quick enough I would suspect.

That would cover you pretty dang well from a dogs perspective I think
May I ask how you use the ISO alcohol?

Wow - October flew by in a hurry! Here are the results of my first bird hunting trip to the Dakotas. First the pup; He was in heaven on earth I do believe, the terrain was not not bad at all agriculture and prairie pothole country, I think made just for a bird dog to hunt and have fun. Bought him booties, didn't need them. Quite fun to put them on him though and just watch:)
First aid kits not needed for him or me. Did purchase a bottle of Paw Gold and used it, he seemed to like me to apply it and had no paw issues.
Weather; on arrival 45 degrees, upon leaving 5 days later 9 degrees wow. First day before the storm.John and Ryker October 2020.jpg

Back