South Dakota elk tag, to guide?

SD_Prairie_Goat

Anyone pulled a SD elk tag on here?

I got very very lucky this year and pulled a tag.

Trying to figure out if I should DIY or use a guide for the first time? Curious other folks experience out there, DM's preferred.

Major points of consideration:
  • Almost certain this is a once in a life time hunt for me in SD and I want to get all I can out of the hunt. Want a respectable bull is the goal, no rags or small 5x5 with this tag min.
  • Killed two cow elk but never a bull. Elk knowledge isn't as high as many on here and would say I'm at the very early years of elk learning
  • Have a flexible work schedule that'll allow 2 weeks of hunting pretty safely. Plus extra weekends if needed
  • Don't know this area of the hills well, but scouting isn't super hard at 4.5 hrs away
  • Guide fees estimated at $6k for a couple days of guiding

How long is the season? Do bulls live on public or does the guide fee pay to get you on private?

Did I read that corrrect 6k for a couple days of guiding? That seems really steep.

I know absolutely nothing about SD elk so take this with a grain of salt. With limited tag #s, presumably time to scout, presumably easy-ish? country to hunt, and 2 weeks to hunt, Id say go DIY.

I don't know how your tag works for areas but PM me. Just came back from turkey hunting. I can share where some elk are located if it helps.

Lead country club lol elk were there a few years back when we were golfing. i do not know if you can hunt that or not. But those folks see the elk a good amount from what they told me and could point you in the right direction i would assume. That is the only tid bit of info on SD i have. I would do DIY if it was me. When i had my ND OIL tag was one of the best experiences i had.

Congrats on the Tag!

I assume it’s for the Black Hills? If it’s anything like the WY side, you won’t have an issue filling that tag. Every time I go there I always find elk and whitetails.

Hunt is all of October. Hills are almost 95%+ public for my unit so shouldn't have a problem with access.

I'm leaning pretty heavily on DIY from everything I'm hearing and have previously experienced out there

Also, I don't think you're allowed to hunt on a golf course?? That seems like cheating even if it is legal? 🤣

Hunt is all of October. Hills are almost 95%+ public for my unit so shouldn't have a problem with access.

I'm leaning pretty heavily on DIY from everything I'm hearing and have previously experienced out there

Also, I don't think you're allowed to hunt on a golf course?? That seems like cheating even if it is legal? 🤣
Just put that little sock thing over the barrel of the creedmore so they don’t see you have a gun

I am not sure if its legal or not lol but they have to come from somewhere to get to the course. Good excuse to get 9 holes in and scout at the same time haha the amount of poop on the course showed they really liked it there. We had just missed them that morning the guy said, this would have been early october.

I would DIY that hunt.

But don't count your chickens.

Know a guy. Experienced elk hunter. Waited 16 years for a tag in the hills. Was looking for a big one. Hunted hard, had a few missed opportunitys and the heat turned on and he never filled his tag.

Don't put that much pressure on me! Haven't sealed the deal on a bull yet but this is the year!

Being 4.5 hours away its a tough call. Close enough that you think you'll scout a lot but far enough away that family,work,etc could take away from that.
I know this is a DIY site but personally Ive enjoyed my guided hunts and been way more successful than my DIY experiences. I will say i learned way more on the DIY hunts.
I would hire the best guide you can find. OIL tag in one of my favorite places in the country. Enjoy the experience by putting all the odds in your favor.

Back