South Dakota deer unit 35L

So I unexpectedly drew a SD mule deer tag in unit 35L (Custer National Forest) and haven’t been able to find very much info about the unit anywhere. Was hoping somebody might have some pointers on the unit as I don’t have the first clue where to start. Unfortunately I’m about 15 hours away in OK so pre-scouting isn’t really an option. The tag is good for mulie or whitetail but I’ll be targeting mule deer unless an absolute giant whitetail presents itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Well I know one thing...you drew a hellova tag!!

The non resident bowhunters have decimated the mule deer herd in that area. At least that's the rumor on the internet. I haven't hunted in the Custer since 2007 but hunt the surrounding areas quit often. There's some big bull elk in there too and if you put your time in and hunt hard you should be able to turn up a good muley buck out two. I've glassed up some really nice whitetail bucks coming in and out of those pine covered hills too.

My dad has a tag for 35l this year 2020. Looking for any info and where to get a decent map of the area. Cant seem to find much online for a detailed map. Any helps appreciated

Glad to hear someone drew a tag for 35L. I’ve been applying for archery access permit for that unit the past 2 years, unsuccessfully. I was starting to wonder if NRs were allowed there anymore... kind of a rant, but S.D. GFP seems to be doing whatever they can to deter NRs from deer hunting, archery anyways, in the state. I think I’ve “donated” the last of my hunting dollars to S.D. and will move further west next year. It’s a great state, no doubt, I just don’t agree at all with some of their tag management.

Glad to hear someone drew a tag for 35L. I’ve been applying for archery access permit for that unit the past 2 years, unsuccessfully. I was starting to wonder if NRs were allowed there anymore... kind of a rant, but S.D. GFP seems to be doing whatever they can to deter NRs from deer hunting, archery anyways, in the state. I think I’ve “donated” the last of my hunting dollars to S.D. and will move further west next year. It’s a great state, no doubt, I just don’t agree at all with some of their tag management.
More trying to keep residents happy than keep nonresidents out. 🤷‍♂️
Most residents don't agree with their tag management either, so theres that.

GFP gives out 25% of the tags to nonresidents, That equals more than one nonresident tag per sq. mile. IMO they should cut down the nonresident tags to 8%.

The 25% figure is incorrect.
Gfp gives out 8% for NR rifle.
Gfp gives out unlimited NR archery tags but you must apply by the deadline and you have to have a 35L access permit to hunt 35L. The NR quota of these access permits is 20% of the total of 625 which equates to 125 NR permits.
Hope that helps.

Gfp gives out unlimited NR archery tags but you must apply by the deadline and you have to have a 35L access permit to hunt 35L. The NR quota of these access permits is 20% of the total of 625 which equates to 125 NR permits.
Hope that helps.
No fun when someone else shows the work. :D

I've always been known as a fun-sucker. Sorry about that. I did drive through 35L in the early morning in late September and there were a couple of big boys in the ditch alongside the highway.

Hope that helps.
Thank you

So I unexpectedly drew a SD mule deer tag in unit 35L (Custer National Forest) and haven’t been able to find very much info about the unit anywhere. Was hoping somebody might have some pointers on the unit as I don’t have the first clue where to start. Unfortunately I’m about 15 hours away in OK so pre-scouting isn’t really an option. The tag is good for mulie or whitetail but I’ll be targeting mule deer unless an absolute giant whitetail presents itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Swampdog how did u do on the SD 35L Deer tag u had in 2019 ? I drew the tag for this fall !!

I know that unit like the back of my hand. The deer hunting there can be about as good as it gets. I used to hunt that unit every year. Have not been there since 2011 though. I'm curious how things are going. Get a hold of the recent SD hunting atlas then pm me.
Gila i drew the rifle SD 35L tag for this fall if u wouldn’t mind sharing ur knowledge of the area with me it would be much appreciative !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back