South Dakota deer unit 35L

Swampdog

So I unexpectedly drew a SD mule deer tag in unit 35L (Custer National Forest) and haven’t been able to find very much info about the unit anywhere. Was hoping somebody might have some pointers on the unit as I don’t have the first clue where to start. Unfortunately I’m about 15 hours away in OK so pre-scouting isn’t really an option. The tag is good for mulie or whitetail but I’ll be targeting mule deer unless an absolute giant whitetail presents itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Gila

I know that unit like the back of my hand. The deer hunting there can be about as good as it gets. I used to hunt that unit every year. Have not been there since 2011 though. I'm curious how things are going. Get a hold of the recent SD hunting atlas then pm me.

Swampdog

I know that unit like the back of my hand. The deer hunting there can be about as good as it gets. I used to hunt that unit every year. Have not been there since 2011 though. I'm curious how things are going. Get a hold of the recent SD hunting atlas then pm me.
Ok awesome I’ll do it thanks!

Swampdog

Sent you a PM Gila

Gila

South Dakota GFP has some very good programs for leasing private lands. I would like to see more Western states jump on that bandwagon to give DIY'ers access to an increased number of available tags.

Dwreckers

How many points did it take you to draw? Just curious cuz SD really only seems to group point applications in 0 points 1 point and 2+ points

Swampdog

How many points did it take you to draw? Just curious cuz SD really only seems to group point applications in 0 points 1 point and 2+ points
I drew it with 3 but was extremely lucky. I pulled the draw breakdown and was the only one with 3 points that drew it. The remaining 7 NR tags went to guys with 5 to 9 points

3332EEEF-D1AC-4558-8B93-4FEDB9C2DAEC.jpeg

BangUSMC

Been hunting out there for the past 4-5 years, target rich environment! if you need any more help/advice just drop a line.