South Dakota Black Hills

Speaking of west river my dad also drew this year a west river 35L whitetail/mulie tag. You have any experience with this unit? We have some friends that have been there but its been a few years.

I know the area good if you have any questions.

The true prize will be enjoying the Hills and the hunt. I drew a WT tag and I'd be happy with a week spent there and a filled tag. I can't wait to be there again, enjoy the hunt.

I know the area good if you have any questions.
From what I know it seems like 35L has 3 separate areas around 5 miles squaredish. Is there good road access or would there be more hiking around? And is the terrain similar to the black hills?

From what I know it seems like 35L has 3 separate areas around 5 miles squaredish. Is there good road access or would there be more hiking around? And is the terrain similar to the black hills?

35L has roads every where throughout in all of the areas. Easy to see just by using google maps. I assume you have already seen that though. Terrain is somewhat similar. Arrive 1-2 days early to have a decent camping spot.

Ya i seen alot of roads just didn't know if they were all open to use. Is there a good amount of bucks similar to the black hills.

Lots of roads but I would be walking my butt off of them and getting away from the road hunters. Not quite as big of topography of the hills but yes very similar. Ponderosa Pine on the side hills and pretty much flat up on top. I've never hunted the hills but you shouldn't have a problem seeing a handful of bucks every day.

35L has roads every where throughout in all of the areas. Easy to see just by using google maps. I assume you have already seen that though. Terrain is somewhat similar. Arrive 1-2 days early to have a decent camping spot.

Yeah there are no secret spots on public land really. From my experience if you can hunt during the week you’ll be better off. If you can find areas closed to traffic you’ll also be better off.
Conservation officer told me “locals love roads.” 😂

If you drew the any deer tag Id hold out for a nice muley, and they are there. I've seen and taken some nice whitetails but you can get that tag on average every 3 years. Ive never held out for the any deer rifle tag but Ive archery hunted some nice ones out there. Its a fun hunt, Ive done it half dozen times or so and the deer quality keeping improving. Have fun, enjoy the hunt and you'll be just fine.

Ya i seen alot of roads just didn't know if they were all open to use. Is there a good amount of bucks similar to the black hills.
Yes. Almost all the roads are open. Download motor vehicle useage map (MVUM). I have put a lot of miles on walking off roads when archery hunting before and after rifle season and still see plenty of bucks even after rifle season. I have never hunted during rifle season there. I have driven through those areas 1-2 days before and was surprised at the number of people already there. Use the people on the roads to your advantage. Find some unusual cuts in the land and be patient.

Yeah there are no secret spots on public land really. From my experience if you can hunt during the week you’ll be better off. If you can find areas closed to traffic you’ll also be better off.
Conservation officer told me “locals love roads.” 😂
That is true for every area in the state but not just the locals. It seems like most of the people that come here do most of their hunting by driving the roads. I guess I get it somewhat as there are roads all over and some have decent glassing points. Antelope rifle season can be like this too on public land.

That is true for every area in the state but not just the locals. It seems like most of the people that come here do most of their hunting by driving the roads. I guess I get it somewhat as there are roads all over and some have decent glassing points. Antelope rifle season can be like this too on public land.

I did drive roads on the scouting trips and on the day before the hunt. Oddly enough, I didn't hunt any of the areas I drove. Not that I didn't see deer...they were everywhere. I just didn't see anything better than what I had in other spots. I did learn deer can run up a lot steeper "cliff" than I'd have thought. I watched 2 4x4 bucks pretty much act like a billy goat when I spooked them from my truck.

Grew up in the hills and hunt them still for deer. Can’t give much advice on Mulies I primarily Hunt WT. As far as WT goes the rut in the hill is usually later in Nov. not sure if mulies are the same or not

Grew up in the hills and hunt them still for deer. Can’t give much advice on Mulies I primarily Hunt WT. As far as WT goes the rut in the hill is usually later in Nov. not sure if mulies are the same or not

Yes they are.

I drew a WT rifle tag for the BH this year as well. It will be my first time hunting out there. My wife and I took a short vacation out there this summer. In a few hours of scouting/driving, we saw on average 5-10 deer an hour and that was durning the middle of the day. Honestly, I really don't know where to hunt. There were deer in the southern part, eastern part and western part of the BH when we drove around. I think it will be a fun time out there in November.

Not sure where you hunt in WI...but if it’s not farm country, you’re in for a riot compared to what you’re used to.

I hunt in the northern part of the state right on the edge of farm country and the big woods. I know what it is like to sit all weekend in a tree stand and see 1 tail of a deer. I'm looking forward so seeing some deer everyday of the hunt.

I drew a WT rifle tag for the BH this year as well. It will be my first time hunting out there. My wife and I took a short vacation out there this summer. In a few hours of scouting/driving, we saw on average 5-10 deer an hour and that was durning the middle of the day. Honestly, I really don't know where to hunt. There were deer in the southern part, eastern part and western part of the BH when we drove around. I think it will be a fun time out there in November.
your going to enjoy the Black Hills. If your not afraid to use your boots you'll have a good hunt.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back