Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

South Dakota Black Hills

Bearhunter5

I am a non resident and drew a black hills mule deer/whitetail hunt this fall. I have never been to the area and was wondering if anyone has any good info on the unit and what size of mule deer to expect in this unit. Also recommended dates to go ( opening day or end of hunt). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Congrats on drawing the any deer tag as a non-resident, those odds were not in your favor. As for size of mulies in the Hills, do not expect to encounter boone & crockett bucks. Expect to see 140's to 160's at the top end and focus on the foothills of the range for mule deer.

Thanks for the response and nice to know. Is there a good amount of mule deer bucks or are they few and far in between. Also how are the whitetail in this unit. Are there any big ones? I'd prefer a big mule deer but just curious.

There are alot more whitetails in the Black Hills, I would guess 5 to 6 times the population of mule deer or more. Again, the size of neither species will be to the trophy caliber of prairie deer we hunt in SD. There are very respectable deer in the Hills in small numbers but the majority of bucks are significantly smaller than what I can harvest in prairie units.

Not to be a smart ass, but why would you apply for a tag that you have apparently done little to no research on? The "any deer" tag takes years to draw and deserves some effort. Enjoy your hunt.
I actually have done a lot of research on it and have talked to quite a few guys who have hunted there thats why I put in for it. Everyone hunts differently just thought I'd try an online thread to see if anyone else had a different opinion or information on the hunt.

There are alot more whitetails in the Black Hills, I would guess 5 to 6 times the population of mule deer or more. Again, the size of neither species will be to the trophy caliber of prairie deer we hunt in SD. There are very respectable deer in the Hills in small numbers but the majority of bucks are significantly smaller than what I can harvest in prairie units.
Thanks for the help and good luck this season

I have spent some time out there and bow hunted the BHNF. As dcreiss said, you’ll see many more whitetails than you will see muleys. You won’t find many huge bucks, but you’re hunting the place more so than the deer. I’d be happy with a 120 inch buck of either species.
It’s beautiful country. Watch the weather, you’ll be truck camping anyway, so bring a vast array of gear for all conditions.

I had 8 points and got lucky when I drew it. My dad also drew the tag he had 13 i believe. And thanks beagle001 for your insight. Just getting to hunt some new area is always a good experience.

Thanks for the response and nice to know. Is there a good amount of mule deer bucks or are they few and far in between. Also how are the whitetail in this unit. Are there any big ones? I'd prefer a big mule deer but just curious.

There are plenty of both types of bucks. But a lot more WT. Not many are huge. You'll see a ton of 4x4 80-100 Whitetail bucks.

I drew the "any whitetail" tag 2 years ago. I saw 50 deer a day easy, and 10-15 bucks a day. With probably one shooter every day. Saw plenty of mulies too but didn't have a tag for them.

Since you drew the tough tag, I'd hold off on shooting a WT deer. You'll probably be able to go for "any whitetail" in 2-4 years.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest a trip out for scouting in Oct. Even if it's a quick weekend trip. I did it and it was well worth the effort.

Congrats on the tag and keep us posted on your hunt.

I have spent some time out there and bow hunted the BHNF. As dcreiss said, you’ll see many more whitetails than you will see muleys. You won’t find many huge bucks, but you’re hunting the place more so than the deer. I’d be happy with a 120 inch buck of either species.
It’s beautiful country. Watch the weather, you’ll be truck camping anyway, so bring a vast array of gear for all conditions.

That's pretty good advice there.

I passed up a 125" 9pt WT within the first 15-20 min of my BH hunt. I should have shot it but it was literally the first buck I saw on a bucket list hunt for me. I didn't want it to end 20 minutes in. I saw that deer on day 3 and tried to go after him and he slipped away. I shot a 4x4 about an hour after that.

I went for the opener. Many told me to wait til mid-November to catch the heavy rut. I was not disappointed in my choice. I had other commitments that wouldn't allow me to go later. There were bucks chasing does at all hours of the day.

On day 2 I didn't see a deer until 8am. Other than that, there were deer around me almost constantly. The hunt was everything I imagined it would be. I wish it was longer. I'm heading out again this fall and have vacation for the entire West River season. It would take one hellova deer for me to shoot it before the last 3-4 days.

There are plenty of both types of bucks. But a lot more WT. Not many are huge. You'll see a ton of 4x4 80-100 Whitetail bucks.

I drew the "any whitetail" tag 2 years ago. I saw 50 deer a day easy, and 10-15 bucks a day. With probably one shooter every day. Saw plenty of mulies too but didn't have a tag for them.

Since you drew the tough tag, I'd hold off on shooting a WT deer. You'll probably be able to go for "any whitetail" in 2-4 years.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest a trip out for scouting in Oct. Even if it's a quick weekend trip. I did it and it was well worth the effort.

Congrats on the tag and keep us posted on your hunt.
Will do im hoping for a scout trip also.

That's pretty good advice there.

I passed up a 125" 9pt WT within the first 15-20 min of my BH hunt. I should have shot it but it was literally the first buck I saw on a bucket list hunt for me. I didn't want it to end 20 minutes in. I saw that deer on day 3 and tried to go after him and he slipped away. I shot a 4x4 about an hour after that.

I went for the opener. Many told me to wait til mid-November to catch the heavy rut. I was not disappointed in my choice. I had other commitments that wouldn't allow me to go later. There were bucks chasing does at all hours of the day.

On day 2 I didn't see a deer until 8am. Other than that, there were deer around me almost constantly. The hunt was everything I imagined it would be. I wish it was longer. I'm heading out again this fall and have vacation for the entire West River season. It would take one hellova deer for me to shoot it before the last 3-4 days.
Speaking of west river my dad also drew this year a west river 35L whitetail/mulie tag. You have any experience with this unit? We have some friends that have been there but its been a few years.

Speaking of west river my dad also drew this year a west river 35L whitetail/mulie tag. You have any experience with this unit? We have some friends that have been there but its been a few years.

I do not. The tag I have this year is the first WR tag I've drawn.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back