Caribou Gear Tarp

South Dakota Black Hills

Have you checked SD GFP website?

Tons of public land, tons of camping available and guarenteed tags.

Merriams will move several miles during the day, so I would pack up and head there. Find a spot and scout/hunt as you go.

Your question is pretty vague. If you're looking for specific info, you got to ask specific questions. If you want spots to hunt, well, good luck. Thats what hunting is all about, especially on public land with OTC tags.

There are plenty of birds out there and you can camp just about anywhere within reason, stay in a motel or cabin, etc. Whenever I go out I usually camp near Custer Park and hunt the triangle area north up to and between Mount Rushmore, Hill City, and down to the southwest toward Custer. IMO the best time is about the first week of May in a normal year and we see very few hunters due to the huge amount of NF out there.

Thanks guys,

Soon like what I have been hearing on the turkey forums. I have been looking at the area around Hill City for awhile now. Just wasn't sure on the best campground in that area. I have done some digging but there are so many places that I wasn't sure which would be the best. The way it sounds I wish I could push the trip back till may, but I have college finals that first week and 3 sets of tags for here in illinois to fill.

By the way one thing I was wondering about the black hills. From what I have put together just about everything bit of ground is fair game, minus those areas close to the campgrounds and public places.

There is private land mixed in as well so need to have a good map. Pack a lunch with you and get out and walk. Should have some luck.

There is private land mixed in as well so need to have a good map. Pack a lunch with you and get out and walk. Should have some luck.

Actually the SD law allows you to hunt on private property in that zone if it isn't posted, unless the property owner asks that you leave. That's due to so many small little parcels throughout that entire area and to limit trespassing problems. I wouldn't knowingly go on private property, but that's the reason they have that for that zone while the rest of SD private land doesn't have to be posted and you need to know where you are to avoid a trespass ticket.

The map on SD GFP website shows the Custer are is closed to hunting, but there is plenty of area to roam.

Campground choice will vary greatly based on what you're looking for. I've stayed at Horse Thief campground during the summer, but never during hunting season. If the campground is open you should find room. Nothing should be very busy yet.

Yeah Custer is a different permit than the Black Hills. You have to apply early for that drawling. The Black Hills on the other hand have an unlimited number of tags. The only down side from what I understand about the Black Hills is that Non-Residents are only allowed one turkey.

As for the campground tip: Thanks, I will add it to my list of places to check into over the next few days before we leave. From what I have seen so far most of the camp site are closed till May.

Here's the link to what you want. You can even click on the north or south part of the NF map at the bottom of that link and print your own maps of certain sections if you like, as well as ordering the entire paper map there on that link.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=fsm9_012663

Yep... get this map it is so valuable. Mine is almost all worn out. If not online then it can be purchased at the NFS places in the Black Hills or some gas stations.

PS: if it snows then hunt low.

good luck to all
the dog

Depends on how much snow falls. Most guys avoid the snow. I have hunted the snow and had good success. Makes tracking and locating birds pretty easy and they dont't venture as far. Unless they get another 18" snowfall....then stay low. too much work, even for me.

Just order it.

How low we talking?

Birds aren't stupid. They like easy food... not digging trough snow. Try to get where there is no snow or a minimal amount. Most of the time this will be near "horse corrals". NOW, I'M NOT suggesting you hunt horse corrals!!!!!! You'll see the birds and figure them out... good luck and have fun. NOTE: birds also like to walk forest service roads that are closed. Makes easy walking for you too.

the dog

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back