Caribou Gear

South Dakota archery

Wirehair18

Hey everyone, new to the HT and I’ve been looking around for some answers/suggestions to my curiosities- a couple buddies and I are headed to west river SD in late October for mule deer archery on public land. We hunted WR last year for Pheasants and prairie grouse so we have a general idea of deer out there, but it’s brief. First question, does anyone wear snake gaiters when hunting prairie this time of year? We ran into 3 rattle snakes last fall (late October) and it got us a little nervous. Second question, when looking at new ground for mule deer what features are you keying on? I know this year is an anomaly with the wet weather but do you focus on water sources, feeding areas, breaks, tree cover, etc? Right now my thought is to key on north and west facing hills, deep shaded draws and areas with wooded draws to provide room for stalking deer. Am I steered the right direction? Any thoughts would be great! Thanks.

I hunted the first half of Oct. there for years and never saw a snake. I never really gave it much thought. You won't see many muleys in the wooded areas. There are plenty of whitetail in there though. Arroyos, canyons, water tanks, fence lines, hay fields. They like edges. They are very punctual. You can set your watch by them. Get up on a slope (stay off the ridgeline) with a spotter at zero dark thirty and pattern your buck. You can bet they will be in the same place at the same time the next day. Put your running shoes on because you gotta move and quick. I admit that I wasn't all that successful with bowhunting muleys there. I usually got busted. Their senses are very keen. If they can't smell or see you, they will hear you. I had much better success hunting whitetail from a ground blind. Out here in NM the mountain muleys play a different ball game. Now all I gotta do is draw a tag.

Welcome to HT! 😎

I read somewhere that South Dakota has the highest (per snake) population of rattle-less snakes....
If wearing gaiters makes you feel better, go for it. I used them for a bit then ditched them. Too warm. And for the record, I hate snakes!

Out there, I don’t worry about which direction slopes face. Find a knob and cover as much country with your eyes that you can

Welcome, haven't chased mullies yet, this will be my first year but good luck!

Where do you think you'll hunt? Ft. Pierre grasslands?

Welcome to HT.

rattlers are pretty predictable. They like rock piles and sunny spots. Just keep your eyes and ears open and you should be fine I've walked up on them maybe 2 dozen times and never was too close or surprised.

Welcome, haven't chased mullies yet, this will be my first year but good luck!

Where do you think you'll hunt? Ft. Pierre grasslands?
I used to live in the Pierre area and from what I’ve hunted on the grasslands for grouse, to me it looks a little too flat to stalk a Muley. I found some BLM about an hour west that has nice deep canyons and just looks more “deery” to me. Otherwise some fed ground along the Missouri holds some promise too.

I used to live in the Pierre area and from what I’ve hunted on the grasslands for grouse, to me it looks a little too flat to stalk a Muley. I found some BLM about an hour west that has nice deep canyons and just looks more “deery” to me. Otherwise some fed ground along the Missouri holds some promise too.

Cool deal, let us know how you do!

My ranch was south of 90 along the river. I had a few acres in CRP and bowhunted whitetail there. I think you have a good strategy. Try to get away from the goat hunters. I think you are more likely to deal with snow than snakes.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back