MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

South Central Wyoming GEN tag - Archery Elk - Forum Scouting

rveen

Looking for any insight on the following questions. I have a GEN area in mind in South Central WY and am doing scouting with Google maps, onX, books, etc.

I'm planning an Archery elk hunt in September in a General area.

• Will it be as busy as rifle season?
  • There are lots of roads in the area plus ATV trails, is it possible to get away from the crowds?
  • Doesn't sound like many mature bulls, which is fine, but what does the herd structure look like? Do the younger bulls keep a small harem of cows?
  • Lots of beetle kill, is there elk feed in there?

Thanks in advance and feel free to PM.

There will be pressure. Not as much as rifle but there will be people and lots of ATVs. You can use pressure to your advantage. Hike a mile off the trail or road and you will be by yourself.

Not near the traffic you see during rifle season. Avoid use of ATVs when you can except to get to your start point as that will drive elk further away. Walk in to your scoping and setup areas using wind to your advantage. Play the wind smart.

I spent two weeks there last September, and yes, it is crowded. But I can't wait to go back!

Elk will feed in the timber because of abundant graze from beetle kill. Hunting meadows is a waste of time. Learned this the hard way. Good luck

Elk will feed in the timber because of abundant graze from beetle kill. Hunting meadows is a waste of time. Learned this the hard way. Good luck
Actually, the opposite is true. A recent study out of the University of Wyoming showed that even though there may be an increase in forage, it is not enough to overcome the extra energy required for elk to move through the beetle kill--so beetle kill tends to deter elk (https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jwmg.21631).

One thing to note about the south-central region is that it is fairly thick timber and glassing can be challenging (at least in the NF). I have a lot of relatives that won't even hunt elk if they don't draw Areas 7 or 16, not because of the elk quality but because they think hunting the timber in the Snowies is too difficult. I can tell you that it has become even more difficult with a lot of the beetle kill falling.

I'm sure you can get away from crowds, but be careful because sometimes the crowds are there because the elk are there. You have to hunt where the elk are at--if you go where no one is, I think there's a good chance that the elk aren't there either.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back