Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

South African Hunt - 16 Days of Fun

Looks like a great hunt. We are working with an outfitter, putting a trip together for end of April into May. Would be interested in your overall observations.
Might want to consider going later if you plan to have shoulder mounts done. April and May would be change of season from summer to winter. You might get some hair slippage? End of June into July would be height of winter. A good first selection of plains game would be gemsbuck, springbuck, blue wildebeest, blesbuck, and impala. That should be very affordable. A kudu would be about another grand. I think zebra is usually in that neighborhood. If a decent tusker warthog boar happens to get in the way and will sit still long enough, shoot him. They are usually fairly cheap and no one wants one of those shoulder mounted. Not enough hair and skin has to be painted. They usually look goofy. Bleached warthog skull is cheap (relatively) and more attractive. Sable and roan are usually very pricey and to my mind not terribly challenging. If challenge is what you want kudu and cape buffalo are at the top of the list. They like the thick stuff, are very smart, and very spooky. And of course buffalo can be mean, especially if you screw up and place a poor shot. Kudu prefer rough country. Personally, I would set aside five days for each of those two species, especially for buffalo. They are so gawdawful expensive you really want to get something worthwhile. My first trip I shot a cow that had a decent rack, especially for a cow. The price was so cheap I couldn't refuse. And the first two days I took everything on the list but kudu so I had some time to kill. Turned out to be quite exciting when the herd bull came for us three times. Her death bellows saved us from a messy situation. Got my feet wet and decided to go back for another one. I was hunting this bruiser out of Kimberly while OP was chasing his up at Limpopo.
20210822_094314.jpg

Last edited:
Currently in discussions with the wife about an August 22 trip to South Africa. Plains game - 5 species. I hunt, she takes photos and plays tourist.
Would the OP or anyone else care to comment on some realistic prices paid for the trip? tip percentage? Who all gets tips? Rough taxidermy and shipping costs?
Im sure im not the only guy with these questions.
Thanks

Currently in discussions with the wife about an August 22 trip to South Africa. Plains game - 5 species. I hunt, she takes photos and plays tourist.
Would the OP or anyone else care to comment on some realistic prices paid for the trip? tip percentage? Who all gets tips? Rough taxidermy and shipping costs?
Thanks
Please PM me at your convenience. Probably better to discuss prices and contracts in that manner, TheGrayRider.

Thanks
I was there for second trip in August. A lot depends on what you're hunting. Let's see if I can guess ... impala, blesbuck, springbok, blue wildebeest and ... zebra or gemsbuck. If you have a choice go for gemsbuck. And have the lodge cook some of it for you. Best red meat of anything I've ever eaten. My lodge has a special on now for four animals (wildebeest, blesbuck, springbuck, and impala) and four days for about $2700 all inclusive ... and I think they would deal for a few more critters/days. If you happen onto a decent warthog go ahead and take it. They are usually a cheap trophy fee and most farmers don't want them around. One farmer told me if I didn't shoot them I better not come back. Cost of getting the trophies back depends on what you want done and by whom. I had skulls only plus a couple of capes tanned. When/if my daughter ever gets time she'll pedestal mount the kudu and sable.
For the two of you, flights included and a week of hunting/touring I'm thinking about $16-17K including flights (if you book early). That doesn't include trophy handling and shipment. Again, if one of your animals is cape buffalo or sable, that pricetag jumps way up there.

So, more details please. Feel free to PM me.2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

Last edited:
Touche. I was more interested in round figures than specific amounts and outfitters. I shall PM you as well.
*tips hat*
The reply is appreciated.

Doing 5 cull plains game animals on video on a 5 day hunt (inclusive) for around $2500 for me and $100-ish/day for the wife. So not bringing home any taxidermy but a ton of videos and pics.
The wife is a ninja using her corporate card for airlines miles and we have plenty of time to book early thus I am leaving that up to her.

Trying to test the waters of Africa on a budget so to speak this first time.
Is it easier to just rent a rifle from the PM than drag mine halfway around the world - we have given some thought to taking a long layover somewhere interesting on the way there or back so not having it could simplify my life.

Doing 5 cull plains game animals on video on a 5 day hunt (inclusive) for around $2500 for me and $100-ish/day for the wife. So not bringing home any taxidermy but a ton of videos and pics.
The wife is a ninja using her corporate card for airlines miles and we have plenty of time to book early thus I am leaving that up to her.

Trying to test the waters of Africa on a budget so to speak this first time.
Is it easier to just rent a rifle from the PM than drag mine halfway around the world - we have given some thought to taking a long layover somewhere interesting on the way there or back so not having it could simplify my life.
It is possible to take guns over but can be tricky for the uninitiated. I took mine because on both trips I was also taking over a second gun for the lodge owner. Now THAT is real tricky. I also booked flights all the way with airlines in the Star Alliant group so I was able to check the guns in at my local airport when I left and never saw them again till Joberg even though I changed airlines twice with layovers in Frankfurt and Zurich (14 hrs there!). For you in US you'd need Form 6 ATF and then deal with each airline's and country's fees and regs along the way. There is at least one specialized travel agency dealing in safaris that might handle the red tape if you feel you must take your gun. All the lodges have rentals and usually top notch equipment. I shot a dandy kudu at 440 yards with my PH's fancy 270 WSM. What a sweet gun. Shot both my buffalo with his 375 H&H. He simply switched to his super fancy 458 Lott.

To get my animals' skulls cleaned for shipment cost $100 each, except buffalo which are $250. I hang them naked without plaques.20201010_113425.jpg

We truly enjoyed our Africa hunts to the point that I may, may mind you, look into another one for Sable and Rhône if my NZ and Spain hunt do NOT come to fruition. This covid nonsense has the world in a mess.

Attachments

• D827DBB0-169D-4131-B527-4AA0D203BFED.jpeg
    D827DBB0-169D-4131-B527-4AA0D203BFED.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 93022E07-F8BC-43FB-B8E3-BF6AF3BAF227.png
    93022E07-F8BC-43FB-B8E3-BF6AF3BAF227.png
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • B3E4BC98-C347-4DFB-9EF9-EA1CB3747DEA.jpeg
    B3E4BC98-C347-4DFB-9EF9-EA1CB3747DEA.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 25574C6A-DC53-4773-BABB-28342CE379AF.jpeg
    25574C6A-DC53-4773-BABB-28342CE379AF.jpeg
    847.2 KB · Views: 25
@TheGrayRider
Looks like a splendid time.
Goofy question, but I really like your hat. Do you mind sharing the make/model?
Very inexpensive, under $50

Dorfman Pacific DPC Outdoor Water Repellent Safari Hat​

31aGTjlE9nL._SR240,220_.jpg

Good luck! I hunted in Limpopo as well! 2018

Attachments

• DSC_0685.jpg
    DSC_0685.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 13
  • FB_IMG_1527423264734.jpg
    FB_IMG_1527423264734.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180522_040006.jpg
    IMG_20180522_040006.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
You should! Absolutely amazing animal
I don't know what it is but I feel like I would really like to shoot a zebra and get him mounted.

Well, here's hoping you have a safe and fun trip. Ready to see a write up!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back