Sous Vide Euro

AggieCowboy

I saw @wllm1313 post about this and I think I’m going to try it for myself this year. Just antelope and deer. Who else has done this before? Wllm1313 makes it seem pretty straightforward and simple. In the past I’ve had to use a drill to make an additional, bigger hole in the back when I would simmer the skulls. This might be because I get impatient with it and want the process to speed up. Does all of the inside material break down pretty easily with this method?

Also, on his original post he said that he uses a microwave to get the antelope sheaths off. My wife would kill me if I tried that. I thought about going to a second hand store and picking up a microwave to use for this, but does anyone have any other suggestions for popping them off? Can I put the whole head in, then come back later and twist them off?

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the great idea wllm1313. I didn’t want to steal your old thread so I decided to make a new one.

I did not see the previous thread but I’ve done a bunch with an aquarium heater. The smell can be awful but I’ve had good results from it. I like my sous vide cooker way too much to place that much stink on it though I bet it would work better than the aquarium heater

The key is just to get the tissue in the pronghorn’s horn to liquify/soften if you put it upside down in the water bath without soap for a while I bet that would do it... not sure on the time.

Just finished up my mule deer from this year, process continues to be very low effort. Added a new step of soaking in high strength ammonia for a week to degrease. Will post pics at when it’s done.

I did not see the previous thread but I’ve done a bunch with an aquarium heater. The smell can be awful but I’ve had good results from it. I like my sous vide cooker way too much to place that much stink on it though I bet it would work better than the aquarium heater

So the aquarium heater is more for maceration, the Sous vide is a hybrid between boiling and maceration. You still use soap, it’s done in 48 hours max and there is little smell because the flesh isn’t being broken down by microorganisms. Maceration works great, it’s just slower, I don’t think a aquarium heater would really work for the Sous vide style because it doesn’t get hot enough, 135-145 range.

I should say that I bought a cheap sous vide machine on Amazon to use only for this purpose.

Glad to hear that it’s still a low effort process. I’m excited to try it. Do you still place everything in a garbage bag, including the machine? I plan on using a cheap cooler and lining it with a garbage bag. I also have a old tote that I thought I could use, but I’m not sure if it would keep the temperature up for that long if it’s not insulated.

I’ll try placing the horns in the water at first to get them off. I’ll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks when I fill my tag :)

I should say that I bought a cheap sous vide machine on Amazon to use only for this purpose.

Glad to hear that it’s still a low effort process. I’m excited to try it. Do you still place everything in a garbage bag, including the machine? I plan on using a cheap cooler and lining it with a garbage bag. I also have a old tote that I thought I could use, but I’m not sure if it would keep the temperature up for that long if it’s not insulated.

I’ll try placing the horns in the water at first to get them off. I’ll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks when I fill my tag :)

Yeah I do a trash bag just cause it makes clean up easier. I wrap the top in plastic to mitigate evaporation. Insulation is unnecessary, the hardest part is for the machine to get a lot of water up to temp but if you fill the tub with hot water from the tap that makes it much faster.
00A3E5E7-E422-4854-90C0-7CAF5D694273.jpeg

I have thought of doing it with a sous vide and cool to see others doing it. Maybe I’ll just buy up a cheap one to use.

After all these threads I am picturing 4 sous machines in the bathtub with a row of 6 elk skulls and some deer/antelope mixed simmering in the bathroom. Great option of the urban taxidermist.

I received my sous vide a few days ago. I've done a few dozen skulls with a propane burner over the years but the whole fire and forget process with the sous vide has literally got me thinking about it at night. So I did it, I bought one and will be bringing it with me to Wyoming in two weeks.

For those that have done the souls vide method, what brand and model of souls vide machine are you using? Any specifications that are preferable for skulls?

For those that have done the souls vide method, what brand and model of souls vide machine are you using? Any specifications that are preferable for skulls?

Personally I like ANOVA, the joule is expensive and is Bluetooth only, ie, it doesn’t work without a smart phone. The cheaper ones work fine but are less durable.

If you preheat the water(hot tap water) the wattage doesn’t seem to matter.

Seems like the process works better if you remove as much meat as possible in the nose and back of the skull in the beginning. The last two skulls I did were 145 for 36ish hours, below 120 doesn’t do much, above 170 you need to be careful with time as you could lose the delicate bones. The higher the temp the shorter the cook. On my elk I started hotter (165) for a while 2-3 hrs to get the big hunks off and then walked it back (145). Every skull is a bit different, so your results may vary. I definitely recommend putting oxiclean perfume and dye free in the bath to help degrease. Dawn or ammonia would probably work as well.

This stuff
1569858528606.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the machines are water resistant not water proof so you can damage them going really long cooks if you don’t cover the pot or container due to water evaporating, similarly don’t put the whole thing in a trash bag, the little vents on the back of the machine need to stay dryish

After all these threads I am picturing 4 sous machines in the bathtub with a row of 6 elk skulls and some deer/antelope mixed simmering in the bathroom. Great option of the urban taxidermist.

There are industrial grade machines for big restaurants that could easily hold rows and rows of heads. I’m sure you could shrink wrap the antlers so you didn’t have to worry about discoloring and do like a pile of them.

But if your going that scale why not get beetles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back