Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sounds of (tag strategy) silence

Bullshot

Is it just me or has the ever-tightening tag situation out west muted most of the “tag strategy” talk here and elsewhere. There’s less discussion of timing and priority of applications, less overt notice and discussion of app deadlines, etc. The old, “loose lips sink ships” thing I suppose. It’s subtle changes like this that diminish some of the off-season fun and excitement, but it makes perfect sense given the competitive landscape.

But there is still a lot to talk about, maybe more than ever. Strategy is more important than when tags were cheaper and more plentiful. I feel bad for newbies, even though so many of them is one reason why tags are harder to get. Between upcoming fee increases, ending of OTC in many areas, quota cuts from drought/winter or other declines, NR allocation, etc, etc. it ain’t what it used to be and only getting worse. We all deal with it in different ways - but overall I think strategy has become a very personal and increasingly confidential topic.

I'll share what I know about Nevada and Utah. Of course they're probably the two hardest states to draw a tag. Reach out and ask. Now, if I were 32 instead of 72 and have decades of applications ahead of me, I might not be so generous with my intel.

I'm looking for advice on where my 3 Colorado points would be best spent for archery bull. Honey holes anybody?

The gigantic amount of time and money that myself and many others on this forum have spent compiling the knowledge required to have even a barely successful tag application season definitely leads to a unwillingness to blast out suggestions on units or states via public post.

I have answered a few PMs and even sent some on my own volition, but definitely not on the open forum posts. Things are definitely getting more difficult, so the knowledge of how to work applications to give you your best chance to draw continues to rise in value, hence the perceived drop off in open communication I think.

All I have to say about it is treat it like a 401k and start investing in yourself soon as you can. I don’t know when I’ll want to hunt one of these states but when I do I need the points to do it. Kinda silly to wait till your 50s and be like man I’d love to go to this state to hunt that animal but it takes 10 years to get the points

I just started hunting a few seasons ago and already can confirm coming from no background of hunting the community is overwhelmingly anti new hunters and no help. There are people helping and leading one down the right direction.

But I am wondering if new hunters are actually the problem for decreased drawing odds/point creep?!

I don't have the numbers but are new hunters not actually on the decline? I am wondering if increased travel/out of state hunting and worsening fish and game management are the actual cause?

I just started hunting a few seasons ago and already can confirm coming from no background of hunting the community is overwhelmingly anti new hunters and no help. There are people helping and leading one down the right direction.

But I am wondering if new hunters are actually the problem for decreased drawing odds/point creep?!

I don't have the numbers but are new hunters not actually on the decline? I am wondering if increased travel/out of state hunting and worsening fish and game management are the actual cause?
There's so much information already available on the internet, no one feels inclined to help much anymore. If you can't figure out the basics from decades of preexisting information on the internet, then you're just being lazy.

New hunters are on the decline as a nationwide statistic, but new applicants are rapidly increasing across all western states. Increased access to information has lowered all the hurdles to western hunting and participation is skyrocketing. Couple that with declines in animal populations and you have a great recipe for point creep.

This. It just baffles me when folks complain about not getting help.
That’s the point I’m getting at. With as much info as is out there, if you want to have success drawing tags like some of the people you see on here who usually end up with 1 good tag a year or more, then you should expect to put in the 150+ hours (often times much more) of work to get to that point. We did.

There's so much information already available on the internet, no one feels inclined to help much anymore. If you can't figure out the basics from decades of preexisting information on the internet, then you're just being lazy.

New hunters are on the decline as a nationwide statistic, but new applicants are rapidly increasing across all western states. Increased access to information has lowered all the hurdles to western hunting and participation is skyrocketing. Couple that with declines in animal populations and you have a great recipe for point creep.
Basically confirming what I was suspecting. And yes I can find information by researching but at least on Facebook often times newbies are just talked down upon and even disrespected by many not all, instead of having a fun conversation about a topic very important and fun to all of us.

Between the wolves in Colorado, the tags cuts(or rumors of such) in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Montana, the winter kill this year and the general attitude of many R vs NR’s. I’ve had to stop thinking or talking about it.

It depresses me.

That being said I’ll offer to help with something I have knowledge of where I can…in a pm.

Fortunately I have a great network of friends that will help me where they can. At my age I’m hoping for one or two more quality cracks at a good elk hunt. I feel confident I could draw G or H (for deer)once at the point level I’m at. I’ve got a pile of points for an antelope in Colorado, saving them for when I’m too old to go up the mountain(or carry and elk down it). I put in for a cow elk tag this year in Wyoming. And I’ll hunt muleys a few more times with some luck.

Other than that, I’m looking at taking the trapping course in a couple of western states and stocking up on 28 gauge shells.

I’m thankful I got in on the tail end of the good old days for NR hunting in the west. I think we’re looking at the switch portion of the bait and switch now.

Basically confirming what I was suspecting. And yes I can find information by researching but at least on Facebook often times newbies are just talked down upon and even disrespected by many not all, instead of having a fun conversation about a topic very important and fun to all of us.
You look around and you'll find plenty of places to ask beginner questions. Some of the FB groups I follow are pretty accommodating as are most of the forums. It's more about what questions you ask and how you ask it.

I'd recommend not leading with the stereotypical - "I'm looking to go to Colorado unit XX for an elk hunt. Never hunted before, not looking for a giant but maybe just something around 300". Not looking for your honey holes but hoping someone can message me some spots to check out. I've got 5 days to hunt, hoping for places I'll see a lot of animals in case I mess up the first few encounters. Thanks" --- these get you laughed out of the room every time. Here, you'll get "Welcome to HuntTalk".

In all fairness, expecting a civil conversation about anything on FB borders on absolute stupidity.

But i need help my disabled vet father has always dreamed of elk hunting. Hes not looking for much just a repersentive 6 point and since his phyical limits are so bad and my son thats coming with us has a severe videogame injury it needs to be close to a paved road since were driving our prius to save fuel costs. Not looking for waypoints but some maps with spots marked would be great. Thanks, look forward to contributing later, getting a subscription to gohunt also!

Dig a little more and find out the only army his dad was in was the salvation army.

Last edited:
But i need help my disabled vet father has always dreamed of elk hunting. Hes not looking for much just a repersentive 6 point and since his phyical limits are so bad and my son thats coming with us has a severe videogame injury it needs to be close to a paved road since were driving our prius to save fuel costs. Not looking for waypoints but some maps with spots marked would be great. Thanks, look forward to contributing later, getting a subscription to gohunt also!

Dig a little more and find out the only army his dad was in was the salvation army.
Good god this is accurate.
Dickhead opinion ahead; there are more disabled vets out there than actually Veterans.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back