Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sope comparison

kiwi hunta

Looking to purchase a new scope for the 7/08 I'm getting made up, it will be used for hunting in the N.Z. bush {dark due to heavy canopy cover} and also for shots up to say 300 yards on open shingle slides and slips, would like a small variable say 1.75 to 6 or 2.5 to 8 and I would like to mount it nice and low so dont want a really big objective lens up to about 36 maximum.

I have sorted of narrowed it down to a Zeiss conquest a Leupold V111 or a Nikon monach all cost about the same money from www.theopticzone.com and all have lifetime gaurantees, I currently use Weaver Grandslams and have had no problems with them just the old"grass is greener" syndrome.

Does anyone have any subjective reasons on which of the above would be the best of the bunch

Cheers
Jeff.

My pick would be the Leupold in either magnification range for a few reasons:
1. Generally lighter, with more eye relief
2. Reputation of durability
3. I like the many different reticles that you can get. You mentioned the heavy canopy cover, I'd probably look hard at the German #4 or Post & Duplex reticles.

Thanks pointer, I somehow new you would say the loopy:), I'm just a bit concerned by the number of VX111 scopes that have been returned for repairs, particually on the windage adjustments.

I'm just a bit concerned by the number of VX111 scopes that have been returned for repairs
Well, about the only reply to that is that Leupold's customer service reputation will have to stand on it's own...

I recently compared the conquest (a 3x9x40), leupold III, and monarch for about 40 minutes...the conquest was clearest edge to edge, constant eye relief thru the power ranges w/ the monarch a distant third.

To be fair, I own two Lupe III's & two Conquests...close performers, but Zeiss by a hair.

Well I ended buying 3 scopes for different reasons, mainly I think because I'm an optic whore:D, and I was let down on a couple of purchases because of the retailers not sending out of USA :(.

So I ended up with a VariX 111 3.5 to 10, an older bausch and lomb 2-7x32 from Japan with really outstanding optics and when optic zone had a 10% discount on Zeiss conquests I got a Zeiss conquest in 2.5-8x32 for US$360

The Vari X is going on the custom 6.5, the B&L on a CZ452 .22 and the Zeiss on the custom 7/08.

Man that older B&L surprised me with its optical clarity.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers

Jeff.

Yeah, I have a couple of B&L Elites from before the Bushness acquisition - they are excellent scopes. ONe is a 3-9x40 on a .270 Win and the other is a 6-24 on my Kimber .22-250.

For your use, though, on the 7-08, it would be hard to beat the smaller Leupold variables with 32-36 mm objective. Barsness in one of his articles stated that the Leupold 3-9x36 is their brightest scope, surprisingly enough. I have on on my .358 and it is as bright as any other scope I own.

When I went to order a scope for the custom rifle I'm having made, no one had what I wanted. Just for grins, I called Leupold direct. Not only did the salesperson get me what I wanted, I was able to order the scope directly from the custom shop -no middle man. Some factories don't even want to get their hands dirty dealing with direct orders from customers.
Picked up a Leupold VX2, 2-7 X 36mm obj. Pretty compact and light. Works great, too.
Those older B&Ls are great but hard to find.

Miller likes sope on a rope from what I hear... but I think this topic was about "scope"

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back