Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Somebody make up my mind!

CForest

So I've got myself 3 points for elk in Wyoming. One day I'm committed to hunting the general, next day I think I'll be greatly disappointed. One of the things I hate most is hunting with orange on every hilltop, which appears to be tough to avoid. There is a fair chance ill be by myself for a good portion of the hunt, so unless I can arrange a packer i am reluctant to get too crazy far away from a road. Also because of that id prefer to avoid griz country. I could bring an atv if it were to help.

I've researched quite a few units, seems like once I begin to like an area I find something I dont like. i.e too much wilderness, super thick country (I would love to find country like the breaks here in mt), etc.
Due to harvest i most likely wouldnt be able to go during archery. Would be strictly rifle hunting.

I also don't want to wait 6-10 years just to be greatly disappointed in point creep and the sub-par unit i would draw at that point.

I do have a fair bit of elk hunting experience, once in NM and basically all my life here in the breaks of montana.

Not looking for a booner or bust type of bull, but I likely wouldn't bring anything less than a mature bull home. I dont expect to draw a tag myself in MT or AZ for a few years at least, and who knows with NM.

So what say ye?? Do I throw $700 at wyo or keep waiting?? Help me decide, pm's are welcome too. Thanks crew!

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, as I have 3 points as well. Looking at the recent draw odds, it looks like there's a chance having 3 points isn't 100% (regular draw). I was going back and forth today wondering if I should apply for a Type 6 tag this year for the general unit I was hoping to hunt in for a bull elk to get an extra PP (and experience in the unit) for a more confident draw in the next year or so. That doesn't sound like an option for you though, with mention of taking a mature bull.

Best of luck!

Same. Sitting on 3. With the ID unit I hunted this year already sold out, wondering if WY is for me. Never hunted it either. Hope you get some PMs with good advice.

Apply for Wyoming Cow tags and go hunt for meat. Good chance of being drawn in the regular. Out of state hunters have some of the best odds in Wyoming as apposed to any of the other Western states. Unless your a hold out for the "best" units, trophy there is no reason not to apply for a cow tag.

Apply for Wyoming Cow tags and go hunt for meat. Good chance of being drawn in the regular. Out of state hunters have some of the best odds in Wyoming as apposed to any of the other Western states. Unless your a hold out for the "best" units, trophy there is no reason not to apply for a cow tag.
I can get a cow tag essentially every year here at home. So I really struggle with going through all the expense and time to go shoot a cow elsewhere. But I do realize its a great way to learn a unit

Go hunt! The future is so uncertain, and points creep will mean saving for a “better” unit is going to take longer than you think. You’ll essentially put yourself through this same misery every year for the next 10.

I hunted a higher traffic area near Jackson this year and once I was in the woods I only actually saw 2 groups of other hunters, both on opening morning of the Sept rifle season, saw nobody away from the road the rest of the season, and all within a few miles of the road. Saw elk nearly every day and nearly killed elk within a mile of the road twice, killed one about 2.5-3 miles in. There were some mature bulls around but never quite got the shot on them, killed a 5 point, saw one big sumbitch and a couple other smaller 6 points some other hunters killed. You might not have entire basins to yourself, but if you try you can get away from people.

Are you healthy now ? Can you afford the time from work, expense, and be away from the family long enough to go this year ? COVID has taught us to take nothing for granted. I would vote to apply, and go hunt if you can answer yes to the above questions.

I have 2 PP...plan to go general as soon as I have 3. IMO the NR harvest success rates speak for themselves, comparing to other states general tags. I hope to do 1 wk archery + 1 wk rifle

I have 2 PP...plan to go general as soon as I have 3. IMO the NR harvest success rates speak for themselves,

Whats it saying? Hopefully you realize those are made up numbers: not fact.

All you 3 point guys better have plan "B" as in you will not B drawing a general tag in wyoming, some might but wouldn't count on it. Cforest the generals are worth and you can find not all orange in them but there are some LE units that only require a few points that have amazing hunts, do you bow hunt.... good luck

I've hunted on cow tags several times, in good Wyoming bull units (the kind that take 10 or so points to draw). I think it's important to remember that even if you hold out for one of those, there will be other bull hunters, other cow hunters, maybe deer hunters too... So, you're going to run into a fair number of other hunters out there regardless, unless you get back there a ways. There are going to be a bunch of hunters in any elk unit and the nature of the Wyoming landscape is that you're going to be aware of them, even if they don't get close. If crowding is your primary concern, I'd start by thinking about where you can find the conditions that discourage other hunters, whether that's nasty, steep country around a wilderness area, or access to private land, etc. Then worry about points/different kinds of tags.

I'm in a funny spot with WY points. I think I have 4 now and while I would be inclined to just spend them on a general tag, I think it's going to be a few years until I have the opportunity to use them (I think my next western trip will likely be a cow tag trip for my middle son). So, once I'm sitting on 7 points or so, I'll probably be torn about using them for a general, or waiting a few more years for something "better." Who knows, maybe a general tag will take 7 points by then...

I'm in a funny spot with WY points. I think I have 4 now and while I would be inclined to just spend them on a general tag, I think it's going to be a few years until I have the opportunity to use them (I think my next western trip will likely be a cow tag trip for my middle son). So, once I'm sitting on 7 points or so, I'll probably be torn about using them for a general, or waiting a few more years for something "better." Who knows, maybe a general tag will take 7 points by then...
thats exactly where my thinking is too. If I "hold out" I feel like there's a good chance ill end up blowing a bunch of points on the general cause I can't find anything better for the price 🤷‍♂️

I’m cashing in 6 this year for a general tag. I’ll do my best to not allow myself to bank more than 3 points again after this year.

Same boat but have 11 points. Got a few areas picked out. Trying to decide type 1 or 9.

Outside of hunting season, this is my favourite time of year, I get to research a ton of stuff, only to scrap all of it and start over 15 times only to probably go back to my original plan. Then, I'll finally apply but go back and change everything. /s

Outside of hunting season, this is my favourite time of year, I get to research a ton of stuff, only to scrap all of it and start over 15 times only to probably go back to my original plan. Then, I'll finally apply but go back and change everything. /s
Used to be bad enough just doing my own state. Now that I am applying in 3 others I'm pretty sure my wife thinks I've gone off my rocker haha

Back