Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Somebody make up my mind!

I'm a resident with horses. My non-res brother wants to come to Wyo next year with 8 pref pts. I'm toying with the idea of having him put in for a general, even with 8 pps. IMHO, a lot of the general units are as good as the 6-10 pp units. So, I'd go hunting in a gen area with 3 pps, rather than generating more pps for areas that have similar success rates.

I can get a cow tag essentially every year here at home. So I really struggle with going through all the expense and time to go shoot a cow elsewhere. But I do realize its a great way to learn a unit
I almost don’t want to reply given you lot are my ‘competition’ :) but I’m in the same boat - both in points and with the ‘hunt a cow’ thing.

I have been debating going into the Special this year. I know a couple general units well, a lot of GEN units are not substantially further away than my ‘normal’ CO unit, so I could hunt weekends/long weekends easily. So there is an awful lot on the ‘plus’ side of my column to jump in the Special.

However, I’m reticent to drop ~$1400 on an elk tag. I hate assigning financials to hunting/game, but that’s about 25X the cost of getting my normal CO tag. 13X if you factor in the ability to hunt with a rifle after archery is over (Which isnt As appealing to me for a variety of reasons). I understand the math is different for folks coming from non-Elk states So not a one size fits all math problem.

I think the general will creep a little over 1/2 a point this year. Odds will be better with 3 than they were with 2 last year, but I think most 3 point guys are going to end up in the Random.

Ya I by no means expect my 3pts to be a guarantee. But there are very good odds id think. Enough to where I'd have to plan on drawing if I put in.

would anyone care to share (prob via pm) some general pictures of how the countryside looks in units 102, 103, 104??? Just so I could have a basic feel for what it looks like. I have never been through that corner of the state. Thanks!!!!

i too am in the 3 point pool and debating for 2021,,already have some expierience in some units,but so far im 0-1 on wyoming gen elk,and 0-1 on wyoming limited entry elk,,and 1-0 on wyoming cow elk,,this is getting pretty spendy with 2 strike outs in 10 years of point building.not sure what to do but will likely apply,,just gluttin for more punishment.even though i got a decent 3x3 buck deer in 2020,that hunt burned 11 years of point building,,a bit dissapointed,,not gonna do that again

I been wondering close to the same thing but I have 5 points and need to find a unit to use em on

Why not just go on google earth & zoom in to your areas of interest? Or go to the G&F website and go to their interactive map and click on "imagery" in the upper tab under "basemap" to look at the aerial imagery. You can also download the various elk, etc. areas into google earth as kml files from the G&F website.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Elk-Hunting/Elk-Map
Just cause I am a flatlander and not the best at gauging terrain on the computer haha

Why not just go on google earth & zoom in to your areas of interest? Or go to the G&F website and go to their interactive map and click on "imagery" in the upper tab under "basemap" to look at the aerial imagery. You can also download the various elk, etc. areas into google earth as kml files from the G&F website.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Elk-Hunting/Elk-Map

All good advice. The other thing you can do is find the nearest roads or highways that have Google Street View. This doesn't give you a zoomed in view, but it can be useful to see broad landscape views.

QQ

Just cause I am a flatlander and not the best at gauging terrain on the computer haha
You can do a lot on google earth. zoom in, then tilt the projection using your ctrl tab along with your up/down arrows. You can really get a very good idea of the terrain. You can also easily make elevation profiles in your area of interest.

Back