Solo hunter - elk or mule deer more realistic

glennw89

Hello all. This Canadian (I live in Ontario) is planning a western hunt for 2021. Why wait three years? I have to take an unpaid sabbatical leave from work (high school teacher) in order to do it and it will take that long to save, etc.

In Canada the only way to hunt our western provinces/territories (Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, etc.) is to either be a resident of those areas, be "hunter hosted" by someone who lives there (hard to find that person and very limited number of tags), or use an outfitter ($$$$$). This makes the western U.S. states a lot more attractive - the irony is that it is easier for me to head west to hunt in a foreign country!

I'll almost certainly be solo - not necessarily by choice, but unlikely to recruit a partner with the time/interest to do it. My lifelong dream has been to hunt elk - but I'm very aware that solo elk hunting is not ideal in terms of dealing with field dressing/meat care, bear encounters (in certain states), etc. I hunt archery and rifle so perhaps waiting until the weather is colder in late seasons would help with the meat spoilage issue if it was just me packing it out in multiple trips? As a solo hunter I would be reluctant to head miles back into wilderness areas if I knew that it would be a "race against time" to get the meat out before it spoiled. The "score" of any potential elk bull would be immaterial - I am simply looking for the chance to fulfill a dream.

Is focusing on a mule deer hunt instead a more realistic option for a solo hunter? It's not my "dream hunt", but chasing mule deer in the mountains is a pretty good secondary option.

I've hunted here in Canada for 25 years (I'm 40) for wilderness deer, etc. and backpacked/rock climbing/skied/whitewater kayaked all over the world. I own a gear store worth of quality outdoor gear, including everything needed for backcountry hunting backpacking trips (I backpack into wilderness areas here in Ontario and New York to hunt whitetail deer). I'm very confident in my outdoor experience and fitness level - but I'm aware I don't have any relevant western mountain hunting experience to judge what hunt would be most appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

I am 100% certain that you could find someone on this forum to hunt with. Especially a month long archery season and especially given you have 3 years to plan. Follow your dream and go for elk!!

^ Agreed also welcome to the forum!

This year I’m hunting elk solo in a wilderness area in CO. I will be super far in so I did some calling around and found an outfitter who guides in the area and he agreed to pack out my elk if I get one. I’m bringing a garmin, so I will just text him once I get an animal down and he will let me know the closest spot he can get his mules. Point being definitely don’t let going solo make you feel like you can’t chase your dreams. There are lots of different ways you can make it happen.

I hunt elk and deer solo. I'm not going to lie, hunting in grizzly country alone, is scary.
It can take me a few days to pack out an elk.

Welcome to the forum!! I would suggest starting to get points in a couple of states. Wyoming purchasing is still open. Colorado is too late for this year. I'm not sure about Montana. But, a couple of years worth of points can open up a lot of decent units. I bet if you bring beer you'd get a partner :cool:

Look for somewhere you can have both tags. Focus on elk and you will almost always run into some nice mule deer. If your saving for 3 years it will just be another 400 bucks or so. Colorado is a good place to look into.

I agree with Johncushman, buy points asap and the number of points points you have will tell you where you can likely draw a tag.
I suggest looking hard at Wyoming. I hope to hunt Wyoming every two years for as long as my body is able.
I'm sure if you are in reasonable shape, a solo hunt in most areas is realistic.

I like the sound of the way they do tags in Canada. Would be funny to see that implemented in the States.

If you have that much time you will be able to find someone to hunt with. Just don't follow the lead in the other thread with the creepy guy looking for a woman to hunt with on craigslist, LOL.

Buy points as you could have options of a general tag or more in Wyoming by the time 21 rolls around.

I infer elk is more of a dream hunt for you. That's what I'd go with. What's an extra load or 2 of meat anyway? In my experience, a branch antlered bull isn't harder to find than a mature mule deer.

I've done better with elk. So, that would be my pick. Especially if you may only go once. However, (depending on the unit/state) a deer dag might be a minimal expense.

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest starting to get points in a couple of states. Wyoming purchasing is still open.

Definitely do this. You'd have 3 WY points by the time you hunt. And if you start in CO and/or MT next year, that's 2 points in one of those heading into those draws. In CO that opens up a handful of decent hunts.

Here in CO you don't have grizzlies to deal with. Same with a large part of WY. I hunt elk alone most of the time (though I am usually within daytrip range of 'help' from friends or relatives). As Wilm is doing, there are typically outfitters in an area that will provide packout services if you're worried about that. If Elk are your dream, go for it. For sure in archery season, and even in most rifle seasons, there is a big difference in hunting elk versus deer.

If I was in the same scenario - I'd get on the WY point train as well as one of either CO or MT - that gives you options while studying with a small investment. Then, research like crazy until January 2021 and have my choice picked out.

The wrinkle is that the WY elk draw is very early (Jan. 31 deadline) and they do not allow returning of tags, so if you choose that route, that's where you're going.

Welcome to the forum! First pick a state and then start narrowing it down from there. Watch Randy's videos about e-scouting and how the draw system works in that state.

Elk hunting options

I agree with the others. Get your bonus points in wyoming, colorado, utah, montana, and even nevada. Or narrow it down as that can be expensive every year. I am an idaho resident. If in three years you do not draw for those states, put in for idaho. There are no bonus points in idaho so there is no use putting in until you are able to go hunt. There are over the counter tags in idaho, montana, and utah if you dont draw one in three years.

Elk hunting can be physically demanding once one is on the ground. Sounds like you keep yourself in shape which is excellent. In a few years when you have a tag and are ready to go, look for outfitters that will pack you out just in case you get in a pinch. Others on this forum would be willing to help out. I use horses on some of my hunts and help others when they need it if i can.

Good luck in planning! Elk hunting is awesome!

Welcome form Mississippi! All of the above info seems to have you covered. Go for your dreams and get an elk! Or both:)

Don't waste your money on points in Utah and Nevada. It sounds like you need to plan your hunts well in those two states the only way you are going to draw in your lifetime is to put in every year and hope lightening strikes. They are a terrible investment.

Keep it simple. Draw a Wyoming general elk tag with a few points and go hunt. Instead of pairing it up with a mule deer tag, get an antelope tag as well (buck, does, or both). Should you fill your elk tag early, killing a few antelope will be quick and easy on the way home.

Back