Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Solo 3rd OTC Season in CO

tx_basser

Am planning on a solo hunt for 3rd OTC in Co, and looking at GMU 80/81, as I hunted 71/711 last year. Not really dead set on any unit unless you guy have other recommendations that might be better for a 53 year old IT Manager. Not really a spot/stalk kind of guy that glasses from a ridgeline, but like to scout around till I find recent activity and cover trails, bedding areas.

Reason I am looking at 80/81 as the Southwest Colorado Hunting guide said the herd is growing, and has plenty of diverse public ground to try and hunt. Western part of the unit has lots of mountainous terrain, and Eastern part of the Unit seems to have desert/wintering BLM ground... so thinking somewhere in between I will find some elk. Looking at basing out of Antonito, as they show to have a cheap motel there.

I know my limit due to physical conditioning, due to age, shape, etc.. but figure with diverse terrain, 3rd season possibly colder weather, it might make hunting opportunity somewhat better. I tell my wife, I am the tortoise, and not the hare.

Thanks,
Roger

Hi, did you get any steers on 81? I am solo out there for 3rd this year also. Been out there quite a bit. There is a lot of good wilderness out there in the South San Juan Wilderness Area. Pretty rugged and they will be holding up in the gnarly stuff back in there. There is another area south of the wilderness area that is also productive.

Back