Soaked in Milk?

AZ402

I've heard of several people soaking gamey meat in milk? I've never tried this and would like to know the process. How long does it soak, is the meat totally submerged, etc, etc....Thanks in advance.

I've done this with duck, put a bunch of breasts in a bowl and fill it up with milk, usually ate it the next day. I don't mind duck, but some people that don't like how gamey it is really liked it after the milk soak. I'd say try it and see what you think...oh and I have no idea if I have the right method just tried it after I heard someone mention it.

Momma, rest her soul, used to soak geese and ducks and any meat she considered "strong" tasting in butter milk. Put in in one evening, eat it the next. Covered totally.
Try it.
BTW, I don't do it unless it is an old Canada or Snow for anything else.
BTW II, Momma didn't cook meat anyway but battered and fried in lard and well done.....somethings else I don't do.....

Last edited:
I tried it with Javelina. The process for it went this way. Pour 4 cups of milk into large bowl. Unwrap javelina. Drink large bowl of milk feed pig to Dog. :D
Hope that helps Stan. What the heck are you drowning in moo juice anyways? Ducks?

Try soaking it overnight Stan...my granny swore by for deer venison it and she was never wrong.

Muley?

My own opinion is that you get the same results from salt water as you do from milk or buttermilk. I have left deer, geese, ducks etc in salt water for up to three days, changed the water daily. Did the same thing with milk and buttermilk with no difference between the each method in the final taste of the meat.

I also believe that meat that has been froze will work with any of the three better then meat that has not been frozen.

Strictly my opinions having tried different ways to reduce the gamey taste of some wild game.

Nemont

My own opinion is that you get the same results from salt water as you do from milk or buttermilk. I have left deer, geese, ducks etc in salt water for up to three days, changed the water daily. Did the same thing with milk and buttermilk with no difference between the each method in the final taste of the meat.

I also believe that meat that has been froze will work with any of the three better then meat that has not been frozen.

Strictly my opinions having tried different ways to reduce the gamey taste of some wild game.

Nemont

Thanks for that info, will give that a try as well.

I soak deer meat in milk.Just cover it up and put in fridge and cook the next day.It doesn't need to be thawed.Just look at the milk when you dump it and you'll see that it draws the blood out.Ducks and geese I soak in 7up or sprite the same way.Seems to work well at my house.My deer are cornfed so they probably don't need soaking but I do it anyway plus they are usually on the younger side so that also helps.

Soaking game and fish in milk has been around for a very long time. You can even take a huge catfish and drop its fillets in milk overnight and the next day it will look like a weak colored pepto bismol. Then you can either freeze after rinsing OR cook away.

The milk which has lots of enzymes pulls the blood out of meat/fillets and its the blood that contains adrenaline which is produced when the animal/fish is put into shock from our bullets, arrows, etc. The longer a animal runs and takes to die (bad shots) the more adrenaline will be in the blood. The meat will also get some of the adrenaline as well but its the blood that feeds it to the muscles. Animal size, dying process time, animals diet and many other factors will vary the degree as to how "gamey" tasting it will be.

Milk really makes a difference in venison when you have a picky eater that won't eat venison because its gamey tasting to them. Dont tell them what it is until after its soaked in milk overnight and already in their stomach! ;)

I've used viniger as a tenderizer but this milk thing has me thinking. I never got the idea that the gamey taste came from blood but rather the fat in or on the meat.

I've always soaked strong, "fishy" tasting fish in milk, 4-6 hours before breading and frying.
As far as game, just do what I do and shoot nothing but tender young, small animals.

My last mule deer buck was pretty big (about 250 lbs) and a 180-class. Everyone who tried the meat commented on how good it was. The only thing I did differently was to remove all the fat (except for any small marbling) and membrane. It took a long time, and it seemed like a lot of waste...but it tasted great - even after a year in the freezer.

I had some muley round shortly after I got back from Colorado last Fall...just thawed and chicken fried & was delicious. Tried some more prepared same way about a week ago and it was way wild (giveaway wild) tasting...guessing the processor must've mismarked an Elk round on the package cooked back in the Fall. My son won't even take the mule deer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back