Caribou Gear

Snowmobiles rescued in A-B Wilderness.

Hopefully they do get fined and their snow machines confiscated and billed for the rescue costs as well. What ever did end up happening to the owners of that helicopter that landed in the wilderness area?

Hopefully they do get fined and their snow machines confiscated and billed for the rescue costs as well. What ever did end up happening to the owners of that helicopter that landed in the wilderness area?
$500 I believe, and whatever they paid their lawyer

I would love to see someone film a documentary of the event including a check being written for snow machine extraction, check being written for numerous fines, check written for rescue and ending with keys being handed over to USFS personnel. Maybe make it mandatory viewing at some trailhead lodging locations. 🤔
Can't film in the wilderness ;)

I’m a big fan of learning by natural consequences. This would never happen, but I wish they would have dropped a guide and supplies for everyone and made them walk all the way out to their trucks.

Ok maybe that’s too harsh. Make them walk all the way to the wilderness boundary.

An atv rental went south while doing cookies on a steep glacier once. Ended up over the cornice in a trackless basin. Mechanic and I dis-assembled it and packed it out and re-assembled it.

After that buying a new atv at the dealer always looked like the better deal of the two options. Now finding sleds stuck and abandoned usually led to (a bit of hard work) followed by huge jumps, demo derby, and somehow next to zero gas in the tank when they returned with help to recover their machines out of the hole they were in.

If left long enough sometimes the gas was brand new gas... Ah to be 20 again...

I’m a big fan of learning by natural consequences. This would never happen, but I wish they would have dropped a guide and supplies for everyone and made them walk all the way out to their trucks.

Ok maybe that’s too harsh. Make them walk all the way to the wilderness boundary.
I’m nicer. I’d give them snowshoes and at least point them towards Cooke City.

Cliff notes version: the Beartooths are loaded with grizzlies and really bad fishing. The only thing worth hunting is marmots. 10/10 would not recommend.
I can also attest to this. There was a guy pulled out of a tent and partially eaten and then stashed by a griz in a campground a while back. And the fishing sucks. Stay home, campers 😂

Cliff notes version: the Beartooths are loaded with grizzlies and really bad fishing. The only thing worth hunting is marmots. 10/10 would not recommend.
Between the lines..... could be the Custer all over again. mtmuley

Dealing with snow in August is BS as well.
36535427922_736bd9b5a4_5k.jpg

Might be able to recover all rescue costs if the trucks and trailers used by the morons were confiscated as well.

Back