Snow line on the little belt mountains this spring?

Elliot1987

Thinking about taking a trip to the little belt mountains with some friends to hike and camp in late April/early may. We are all meeting up from different states and this is centrally located somewhat for us. What can I expect for snow on the ground from 5.5k-6.5k elevation. I know snow storms are possible, but I’m not sure what the snow on the ground would be like. Also, if anyone has a website that keeps track of something like this that would be very helpful!

Thank you in advance.

Late April/early May I would still consider winter conditions much of the time. Bear hunting in late May there have been plenty of years we still run into snowed shut roads and knee deep snow up there. This year, it was insanely dry. Just depends.

Unfortunately it's really impossible to predict at this point. Could be a complete blizzard or 80 degrees. Showdown is a ski hill in the area so you could check their snow report. There are also several Snotel sites in the area that can give you snow depth.

May I piggyback on this ?

In MT would a spring bear hunt be a good scouting outing for determining where you would want to apply for elk and deer? or is active bear country too low in elevation to show you much of the country you would be interested in?

May I piggyback on this ?

In MT would a spring bear hunt be a good scouting outing for determining where you would want to apply for elk and deer? or is active bear country too low in elevation to show you much of the country you would be interested in?
Hopefully someone with more spring bear hunting experience can chime in, but my understanding of it is that you're typically glassing avalanche chutes and south-facing slopes to spot bears. I don't think the elevation preference would be hugely different for bear and elk once the snow has cleared, but the Little Belts are pretty thick country and can be tough to do much glassing in alot of the areas I've spent much time.

Snotel map in link. Click on a site, click data reports, click 7 day hourly table that should give you and idea of what it is like.

Snotel map

Back