Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Snow Goose DIY

I can't say for sure but any area that has any birds at all is pretty much leased up. Maybe less so in SD but still I believe the eastern part of the state has a lot of leasing.

SouthDakota has endless opportunitys, Stay away from the East side of the state and college towns. Outfitters are slowly working there way west across the state. Most people will give you permission unless they have cattle near by or other hunters. I quite decoying and just stick to pass shooting.

In years past, the Iatan power plant on the Missouri river and surrounding grain fields would attract hundreds of thousands of snows and blues, and many landowners on both the Missouri and Kansas side allowed hunting. It was good hunting.

I hunted in SD last year for snows in the spring. We used a guide. But, it seems if you are willing to ask and re-assure the land owner that you WON'T drive in their field unless they say you can, you will have a pretty good chance of getting on some land.

Im the DIY kind, and pass shooting would fit that bill, but I wanted to see the sights of 1500 sillow socks and the scream of 6 e callers and several fliers, $$$ worth of equipment, so we did the guide thing that one time, no regrets

Im the DIY kind, and pass shooting would fit that bill, but I wanted to see the sights of 1500 sillow socks and the scream of 6 e callers and several fliers, $$$ worth of equipment, so we did the guide thing that one time, no regrets

+1

Worth it. We did Arkansas, $175/day, we slaughtered them. It's kind of one of those things where to really do it right you need to be very committed, or hire a guide. So we went the guide route to make sure we got them good once.

Back