Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Snow chain recommendations

mxracer317

School me on snow chains… what should I be looking for in a high quality chain?

I’m ok with buy once, cry once. Looking for the best quality options and opinions, please.

LT295/60R/20 on a 2016 GMC Sierra 2500 HD running Toyo AT3s

I’ve been known to get into some less than desirable situations pushing the envelope in a heavy diesel. Picked up a set of Maxtraxx just in case! lol 🤪

Last edited:
Get 4 of these and don't look back.

And get you these.

And most importantly, dont wait until you are stuck to put chains on....

@Dsnow9 recommended these before 1st season, but my dumb ass thought I could wait til 3rd / 4th to buy them. But if you’ve read our thread you know I ate my words.

$275 at Napa, $99 at Amazon. They worked great, so much so I bought a second pair after I got home. You might need to do a Google search on whether they fit your ride

Def get v bars

Don't forget to practice with them. If you get on a road and they arn't really necessary but they would help a little put them on. If the first time you go to put your chains on somewhere other than your flat dry driveway it's a rough snowy spot you're gonna have a bad day.

You run the risk of not having enough clearance up front even with a 17 year old truck. I'm not sure since it is a 2500 there could be more room but you may have to get something the fits snugger on the front like a P rated cable set. Like mentioned, practice putting them on several times. Also bring a couple snow shovels

Having some traction boards will help

And get you these.

Good points on not waiting. How do you gauge when is appropriate? When it starts getting a little deep? I’ll be driving farm land roads in Canada in a few weeks on an elk hunt.

I’ve read that even though you order the right size, it might come longer. Is that just something that you can use bolt cutters to cut yourself?

I’ve read that even though you order the right size, it might come longer. Is that just something that you can use bolt cutters to cut yourself?
That’s what happened to me. I run extra bungees and but the excess off the inside. Mine came with tensioners and I will be replacing those soon with a solid link. Hopefully this week. But I’ve run mine in a lot of nasty stuff for years.FE9877F4-485A-444B-AE0B-7A7B9558D90A.jpeg

That’s what happened to me. I run extra bungees and but the excess off the inside. Mine came with tensioners and I will be replacing those soon with a solid link. Hopefully this week. But I’ve run mine in a lot of nasty stuff for years.View attachment 300094

@mxracer317 get you some of these (sold as a pair)

Good points on not waiting. How do you gauge when is appropriate? When it starts getting a little deep? I’ll be driving farm land roads in Canada in a few weeks on an elk hunt.
It really truly depends on what kind of a vehicle you’re driving. My ram 2500 is like a pig on rollerskates. I chain up way earlier with it than I did with my 1500.

Once you get a big heavy diesel truck stuck bad, you tend to chain up a lot quicker….lol

And get you these.

Just had a set of these chains delivered yesterday. *Hopefully* I don't get a chance to test them out during 3rd Rifle.

I bought these titan diamond chains off FB marketplace and they seem to work great. I think they’ll fit my front tires on the tundra which my others won’t as they're too thick where the chain runs into the A arm. Also, you don’t have to drive over them to install which I really like.IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0094.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back