Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Snow chain recommendations

Smart ass, that was a parking spot. Chains weren’t for the snow, they were for the mud. 1/2 down the road from there is where @MtnElk paid for a rescue. I posted the deep snow pics on our hunt thread
This was a parking spot too. Snow was about 18 inches where I turned around. Wasn't hunting just messing around. Only used chains once in the mud. Missouri Breaks. mtmuley

Attachments

• 5204 (1).jpg
    5204 (1).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 55
This was a parking spot too. Snow was about 18 inches where I turned around. Wasn't hunting just messing around. Only used chains once in the mud. Missouri Breaks. mtmuley
Was mainly using them to break miles of trail that everyone else turned around on. I’m usually the last guy to put them on but the snow had grease mud underneath and it git real interesting. Took about 4 passes before I felt comfortable pulling the chains off.

The mud more because I had a passenger with ptsd than anything. 😉

And taking them on and off each trip for 1 of 6 miles didn’t make much sense.6799ACCD-45C3-40A2-8457-163D7442F609.jpeg

It really truly depends on what kind of a vehicle you’re driving. My ram 2500 is like a pig on rollerskates. I chain up way earlier with it than I did with my 1500.

Once you get a big heavy diesel truck stuck bad, you tend to chain up a lot quicker….lol
100% agree with this comment. Got my big diesel stuck a few years ago and got pulled out by a jeep with a winch. Pretty humbling lol

Broke our cheap walmart chains day before yesterday and worked my ass off for 4 hours to go 50 feet. Aluminum chain with plastic cased tensioners. Cam locks with all steel chain for me. Almost spent an extra night and the tow company that was gonna bring me some new chains was gonna charge me $1600.

I’ve read that even though you order the right size, it might come longer. Is that just something that you can use bolt cutters to cut yourself?
That's true. They're made to fit a range of sizes. A big bolt cutter works but I prefer an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. Which chains work best is going to depend on where you're going to use them most. I have a set of studded chains and a set of square link. The square link are smoother if i need to run them on the road, whether pavement or packed gravel. The studded set give tons more traction though. When pulling a heavy trailer through snow, especially on hills, I'll put the studded set on back and square link on front. Makes a huge difference. I would highly recommend you spend the extra to get a set with cams. Makes getting them tight lots easier, and you don't need tensioners.

Make sure your truck can actually use chains....I had a 2020 Jeep at one time and I could not even put chains on it.

Make sure your truck can actually use chains....I had a 2020 Jeep at one time and I could not even put chains on it.
That’s a concern of mine actually. Stupid square GMC wheel wells. The 295/60/20 really takes up some real estate. Any low profile options that I can use to putt along and not drive at 30mph? I’m guessing that will at least help out.

2020 3500 diesel with the same size tire/wheel, no clearance issues, even though chains arent "recommended" up front. Will second the v-bar with cams shared previously, and now Im getting those ramps too. Turns the truck into a snow tractor, did not go above 20mph. Just have a winch in the rear cause most likely you wont want to keep going forward if you get stuck. Im wired f/r with a winch on a hitch mount.

Winching off my sisters truck to be able to chain up after getting stuck. IMG_0087.jpeg

Getting my sisters 1500 ram unstuck after she helped me.
69549712592__0534AFFB-0D26-4273-BE0F-BBC7DFCADB3C.jpeg
IMG_0081.jpeg

Get 4 of these and don't look back.

And get you these.

And most importantly, dont wait until you are stuck to put chains on....
A heavy canvas tarp to lay on when you're putting them on (invariably in mud and snow). The plastic ones will drive you mad in the wind and are slippery.

Last edited:
Bluejay Industrial in Hayden Idaho has top quality chains for specific applications coupled with first class customer service.

They don’t advertise.

Their entire business is rigging and chains.

They rely on word of mouth from their customers.

Bluejay Industrial in Hayden Idaho has top quality chains for specific applications coupled with first class customer service.

They don’t advertise.

Their entire business is rigging and chains.

They rely on word of mouth from their customers.
That's where I get all of mine. (y)

I have been using the German TUV rated light truck S / diamond chains for about 8 years now and they work great. Easy on and off, center chain gives some lateral stability and will work in low clearance situations. I use tirechains.com as a source.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back