Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Snapping Turtle

asdew1880

Can anyone comment on whether it is necessary to keep snapping turtles alive for a week or so before cooking? I've read that it makes the meat more palatable but don't know anyone who has done the actual taste test. It would be a big hassle for me to keep a turtle alive in my apartment for a week or so before I cook him and much easier to butcher in the field and bring home clean meat. Hopefully, I'll be able to go back tmro and grab this snapping turtle I found in a creek while deer scouting (if its still there) and put him on ice. I'm guessing the waiting has more to do with meat quality or reduction of fat than actually affecting the taste. In other words, turtles are usually caught in the summer and I can imagine more difficult to keep the meat clean and cool which has more of an effect on taste than "soaking". Any thoughts?

I've never heard of someone keeping alive for a week for meat quality purposes. Some people will catch and keep them alive until they have enough of them and then butcher all at once. Once suggestion is that after you kill it put it on ice for awhile. That'll help keep it from moving while cleaning out. Aside from being weirded out and worrying that it's in pain, moving legs and claws can be a hassel while cleaning it.

When I was a kid, I used to catch them and give them to guys that worked on the farm. They loved them. They would only take them alive. They would put them in a water basin and change the water daily for a couple of weeks while feeding them table scraps. No idea if there was any truth to it, but they would fight over the live ones and I couldn't give away the dead ones....

When I was a kid, I used to catch them and give them to guys that worked on the farm. They loved them. They would only take them alive. They would put them in a water basin and change the water daily for a couple of weeks while feeding them table scraps. No idea if there was any truth to it, but they would fight over the live ones and I couldn't give away the dead ones....

Rinella talks about something similar in The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine, which is a good read if anyone is curious.

I think it’s a good idea to keep them in some fresh water for a couple days and change it out with fresh. Have eaten one that was killed right away and one that was able to purge for a few days and it was a notable difference.

Definitely keep em in fresh water for a few days; replace the water every day. Personally I prefer shoftshell turtles but snappers aren’t bad

Some of that thinking comes from the depression era. I've heard stories where you collected any turtles you came across, threw them in the backyard, and basically had dinner walking around and available.

I've seen the water after a snappers been in it for a day or two. Mud. Buddy who eats them more often then most swears buy it. Often done with big flathead cats around here too.

When I was a kid the old boys would always keep in fresh water for about a week. When they would take the turtle out there would be a thick layer of mud in the tank. I guess it cleans em out somehow.

Never had turtle none the less snapping turtle... I ran across one of these guys in NC and sure as heck would not want to be close to that snapping beak.
How does turtle taste? Texture, etc?

Curiousity caught me... Seems Missouri Dept Wildlife has a section dedicated to snapping turtle and the harvesting of...

Prior to killing and cleaning a snapping turtle it is a good idea to keep it in a tub of clean water for a period of time. Change the water every few days until it remains relatively clear. This usually takes one to two weeks. We suggest being somewhat selective about where you obtain snapping turtles. Although they often live in sewage lagoons and other sites with low dissolved oxygen, those used for eating should come from clean ponds and streams.

Never had turtle none the less snapping turtle... I ran across one of these guys in NC and sure as heck would not want to be close to that snapping beak.
How does turtle taste? Texture, etc?

Curiousity caught me... Seems Missouri Dept Wildlife has a section dedicated to snapping turtle and the harvesting of...

I read that too, but it doesn't really present the blind taste test. I'm just gonna go back and try to grab the turtle and eat him, see how it tastes. I'll probably soak the meat in salt water, then milk for a couple days. Seems easier for me than soaking the whole, live turtle. I'll keep you guys posted.

Any kind of tub or wash basin that it will fit into with a few inches of water will do the trick. It doesn't have to be swimming in the water. DO make sure to cover the tub with something and put a weight on it. I've had a couple escape the tub and had to find them in the garage! It works sort of like crawfish. Put them in clean water to purge them out. A couple days is about all I've ever waited. Usually had to wait until I actually had the time to do the butchering!

Chilling it down before butchering sounds like a good idea. Kind of irritating having the legs trying to claw at you when the head has ben cut off!

Reactions: LCH
Not to mention they are almost impossible to kill in the first place.

Any kind of tub or wash basin that it will fit into with a few inches of water will do the trick. It doesn't have to be swimming in the water. DO make sure to cover the tub with something and put a weight on it. I've had a couple escape the tub and had to find them in the garage! It works sort of like crawfish. Put them in clean water to purge them out. A couple days is about all I've ever waited. Usually had to wait until I actually had the time to do the butchering!

Chilling it down before butchering sounds like a good idea. Kind of irritating having the legs trying to claw at you when the head has ben cut off!

I've tried that twice and apparently I have a problem actually hitting the brain. 10+ shots on both and still kicking. Things got ugly.

Unrelated story, my dad shot a gator too far forwards with a 243 when I was a little. Puts the gator into our 19 foot Grumman and it comes alive. He lifts it up, throws it back in water and administers the follow up shot. All with me and little brother watching on. Good times

I usually take a stick, let them latch on to it, then pull the head out enough to put a .22 round in their skull. Voila!

I usually take a stick, let them latch on to it, then pull the head out enough to put a .22 round in their skull. Voila!
This one took a couple of .22 hollow points and then a handful of .177 pellets to the head. It was tied to tree before it died over night.

This is my first Big Game Grip and and Grin. I didn't really have the hang of it then.
cjLCjnt.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back