Smartphones for Hunting

glassy

Hi All,

I'm brand new to using a smartphone for hunting, but I'm wondering what kind of experience people have with different phones or even between phone and GPS. What apps/products have you used (e.g. onXmaps, etc.)? What equipment and software do you prefer? In your opinion, do you prefer smartphone or GPS?

I'd like to start playing around with hunting apps on my phone now to be savvy enough with it in the field this upcoming fall.

Just to be clear, I'm mostly interested in property boundary layers. I want to use my smartphone to make sure I'm on the public and not trespassing.

Thanks,
Paul

Lots of good info out there already. I prefer using my phone with OnxMaps. no downside other than not downloading the maps you need i you'll be out of cell service.

I love using my smartphone but the one big issue is battery life. My GPS only needs to be charged once a year. My smartphone however will die within hours or using it extensively with maps and GPS turned on. Still I use my smartphone because the updated maps and access to information is far superior to the GPS with a lot less hassle.

I'd stick with the smartphone but invest in a good power bank. A 20,000 mah bank will charge most phones 3-4 times without needing to be recharged itself.

I use my smartphone when I'm out say pheasant hunting or find a place to hunt as I'm driving somewhere. But if I'm out in the mountains, I'm using my GPS. My life is in my phone. I don't want to lose that.

I use IPhone 5 with OnXmaps and download the maps to phone. If not in cell range I put on airplane mode and low battery mode. Typically will last to days if I'm not using it too much. Some negatives though for some reason my wifes phone doing same thing if it is under 30 degrees the battery dies in minutes although not really dead until warms up. I keep telling her more of a phone placement as she puts in outside pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back