Small/mid-size trucks, best all around

While it's not a truck, the new '24 Prado Land Cruiser might get me to sell my Tundra and upgrade. My wife's daily driver (and my weekend warrior) was an '07 FJ Cruiser that we finally sold with 245k on the clock to my brother.

Toyota really does make an amazing vehicle

Had I no need for the tow capacity of my XL HDPP, that’s likely what I’d have gotten. Nice package.
Thanks. I did a whole lot of research. I test drove the canyon, colorado, frontier, tacoma, and ranger. My favorite of the bunch was the canyon at4. What a beautiful truck in glacier blue. I just didn't want to deal with the problems that new generation trucks typically have. Plus I wanted the off road packages that each truck offered and the canyon AT4's were all pushing $50,000. The ranger stickered for $44,500 and I got $2000 off. No deals on the canyon/colorado models. I really wanted to like the tacoma off-road but damn is that thing uncomfortable for me. Worst driving of all the trucks I had listed by a long shot. Frontier was meh. Ranger tremor has 32 inch tires, fox shocks, mild lift straight from the factory. The 2023 is the last model of this current generation so assume most issues have been worked out since the trucks reintroduction in 2019. I always try to buy the last gen model of a truck for reliability. The 2024 ranger will see a $5500 increase so will be priced similar to the new GM twins. Toyota has said a price increase is in store for the new tacoma; i'll assume $5000 just like Ford and GM did with their trucks.

The wife and I were discussing how we’ve become a ford family.

I’ve had a 2003 F150 with a 5.4, ram 2500 Cummins, 2020 F150 3.5 Ecoboost and now my 2023 F150 5.0 coyote.

I stretched it getting the 2023, but it’s also a long term purchase lasting well past the loan life.

Had I not needed it for towing the camper and other hauling duties,

Your ranger would have been the next truck.

Thanks. I did a whole lot of research. I test drove the canyon, colorado, frontier, tacoma, and ranger. My favorite of the bunch was the canyon at4. What a beautiful truck in glacier blue. I just didn't want to deal with the problems that new generation trucks typically have. Plus I wanted the off road packages that each truck offered and the canyon AT4's were all pushing $50,000. The ranger stickered for $44,500 and I got $2000 off. No deals on the canyon/colorado models. I really wanted to like the tacoma off-road but damn is that thing uncomfortable for me. Worst driving of all the trucks I had listed by a long shot. Frontier was meh. Ranger tremor has 32 inch tires, fox shocks, mild lift straight from the factory. The 2023 is the last model of this current generation so assume most issues have been worked out since the trucks reintroduction in 2019. I always try to buy the last gen model of a truck for reliability. The 2024 ranger will see a $5500 increase so will be priced similar to the new GM twins. Toyota has said a price increase is in store for the new tacoma; i'll assume $5000 just like Ford and GM did with their trucks.
I did the same and that canyon AT4 was sweet although not a fan of the screen being above the dash.

The wife and I were discussing how we’ve become a ford family.

I’ve had a 2003 F150 with a 5.4, ram 2500 Cummins, 2020 F150 3.5 Ecoboost and now my 2023 F150 5.0 coyote.

I stretched it getting the 2023, but it’s also a long term purchase lasting well past the loan life.

Had I not needed it for towing the camper and other hauling duties,

Your ranger would have been the next truck.

Was a little shocked I ended up with the Ford. I thought I would have ended up with the Tacoma or take a gamble on reliability with the Canyon or even the Frontier since it will be the last midsize truck with a V6. My last Ford was a 1992 F150 then went to a Chevy Silverado. Both decent trucks that both needed fuel pumps and transmission replacements. A lot of value in the Tremor package IMO.

I went and looked at the tundra when I got the 2020 and I honestly want impressed with where Toyota has gone with their trucks.

Years ago I had an ‘88 4Runner with a 22RE 5speed in it. I loved it for the most part. Dropped a valve on #1 and still drove it 200 miles to my destination and then back home. Due to a divorce, I just had no drive to fix it though. Wished I’d have kept that truck now.

64D1B529-9A63-4EE1-B90F-0D86F9DADF23.jpeg

Being truck-less for over a year now, I’ve been hitting the classifieds a lot more lately. Three weeks ago I was second in line on a ‘06 Avalanche in good shape, but the first buyer snapped it up within 24 hours of listing.

Then last week I got a tip from a coworker on a fresh listing for the Taco above at $8k. These show up on local dealer lots for about $13k, so I was thinking likely a scam. I contacted seller and offered full price. Second in line (again). My wife told him we can be there in 3 hours (2-hr drive) cash in hand, and he said OK.

I was banking on something really wrong with the truck or some other eye-roll surprise. Turns out the seller had a family emergency and needed cash ASAP. He had 150 other inquiries, and everyone was trying to lowball him.

CarFax checked out. Single owner, minimal rust, full maintenance records. Even had the tow package which wasn’t mentioned in the listing.

Selling my Accord next week. A set of beefy tires on the new rig and I’m set to go.

View attachment 315748

Being truck-less for over a year now, I’ve been hitting the classifieds a lot more lately. Three weeks ago I was second in line on a ‘06 Avalanche in good shape, but the first buyer snapped it up within 24 hours of listing.

Then last week I got a tip from a coworker on a fresh listing for the Taco above at $8k. These show up on local dealer lots for about $13k, so I was thinking likely a scam. I contacted seller and offered full price. Second in line (again). My wife told him we can be there in 3 hours (2-hr drive) cash in hand, and he said OK.

I was banking on something really wrong with the truck or some other eye-roll surprise. Turns out the seller had a family emergency and needed cash ASAP. He had 150 other inquiries, and everyone was trying to lowball him.

CarFax checked out. Single owner, minimal rust, full maintenance records. Even had the tow package which wasn’t mentioned in the listing.

Selling my Accord next week. A set of beefy tires on the new rig and I’m set to go.
nice grab on a second gen tacoma.

View attachment 315748

Sweet man, good mileage? Rip that nerf bar off too.

Sweet man, good mileage? Rip that nerf bar off too.
225k mileage, new timing chain. It doesn't look like it's been off-road.

Besides the look, are there practical reasons to ditch the nerf bars? Ground clearance issues? I have no problem accessing the top of the vehicle. The guy who I bought it from was like 5'4", so maybe that's why he put them on there.

Besides the look, are there practical reasons to ditch the nerf bars? Ground clearance issues? I have no problem accessing the top of the vehicle. The guy who I bought it from was like 5'4", so maybe that's why he put them on there.
I'd leave em help keep some of the salt off the rockers. Every little bit helps.

My tremor came with steps. They are nice for ingress/egress but the few times I've driven in snow they seem to really build up with road grime and snow. They also hang pretty low. Considering replacing with sliders with step assist.

Mostly looks and ground clearance.

If you dont take them off, a boulder or rock may try to help you :)

Be sure to check the drive shaft and u joints. I’ve gone through two sets on mine and I’m only at 216k. But that may be to oversized tires, I don’t know. Only other “real” problem I’ve had on mine is the AC blower motor going out last week; it was $80 for the part and I replaced it myself.

There was a recall on some electrical part that the dealer fixed, that should have been fixed on yours already or just a non issue.

I’m looking at getting a new truck this year and not sure about getting rid of the Tacoma, it gets around the mountains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back