Slug Barrel for BPS 12 ga?

Ben Long

MTMuley's recent question about slug guns got me thinking I might like one too for riverbottom whitetails. I have a 25-year-old Browning Pump in 12. I see there are rifled slug barrels available for it. Easy to switch out. Price tag around $300. Seems like a lot, especially if I need to put a scope or sights on it. Think I should try it, or would I be smarter to buy a shotgun especially made for that purpose? Anyone with any experience with this setup?

Mine is a killer. Accurate kicks like a mule. But only you can decide if you want to invest

I put a Hastings slug barrel on my bps years ago before my kids started youth deer hunting. Cantilever mount and a decent scope and use federal sabot slugs and I'm good to go. I used to take the barrel off ( with no issues losing zero)for other hunting but eventually bought another shotgun.

I don't have a bps but was in the same situation, buy a new cantilever barrel for around 300 or a new gun for 400 to 450$. So I decided to just get a new rem 870 dedicated to slug hunting.

Ben, I'm finding out slugs can be fairly accurate out of a smoothbore. Ranges need to be sensible of course. Maybe you could try a mount and scope on your Browning before investing in a barrel. This is my first experience with shooting slugs, and so far has been interesting. I think I am going to keep my eyes out for a rifled slug barrel. Other HTers sure seem to shoot accurately at some further ranges with them. mtmuley

I don't have a bps but was in the same situation, buy a new cantilever barrel for around 300 or a new gun for 400 to 450$. So I decided to just get a new rem 870 dedicated to slug hunting.

I had this situation too but I was not really using this gun it was just one my dad had handed down to me. But like cornfed said I have no problems with the zero after I remove the barrel and then put it back on

Just my 2 cents having been a shotgun only / slug gun hunter for over 30 years in NJ.
If you want to use your BPS 12 for sentimental reasons then you can find a barrel either a Hastings Paradox or an original Browning barrel.
Get a cantilevered barrel with the built on base for the scope rings.
For less money I believe you can find an H&R single shot fully rifled which I believe to be more accurate. These are capable of 150 yard DRT shots I have seen first hand.
Currently I use a Savage 210F bolt 12 ga that is fully rifled, very heavy but a long range rifle slug gun.
If you are from a state that does not restrict rifle usage I would prefer a used lever in 45-70 for brush or cattail busting deer action.
10Dogs

Thanks 10Dogs. Sound advice. I'm not into it for sentimentality -- I am into it for meat. I'm in Montana and have never fired a slug from a shotgun, but there are some rural, river-bottom districts where I live that are full of whitetail, and centerfire rifles are not allowed. I will look into the H&R for sure.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmokinHunter
Back