dougdelite: rifled slugs in a rifled barrel?

I've hunted in Indiana for 15 years and only shot one deer with a slug. I started using my MZ in shotgun season and never looked back.
We were basically doing a culling operation. Reloading that slow wasn't in the cards for us.
I have had more than a few great MZL hunts there when I was actually hunting and not just helping farmers.
Years ago I moved.to Arkansas and our muzzleloader season here is the best 2 weeks of deer hunting of the year!
I've become a huge fan of chasing antlers with a front stuffer down here.

Reactions: JDH
I hunt here in Illinois with a Savage 220 20g. It is stupid accurate. I shoots Hornady SST's and Remington Accutips like a champ with the Accutips shooting just a tad better. Check out sites like ammoseek and other online ammo dealers. You can find some good deals out there.

blacksheep

You can accurately shoot foster slugs through a rifled barrel. Better yet, but a rifled choke tube for better accuracy out of a smoothbore.

Rifled chokes were actually designed for rifled slugs.

Get some sabots and try them. Every slug gun likes something different, unfortunately. I'd start with hornady or rem accutips. 12 gauge?
You are spot on. Years ago I bought a new Browning 12ga rifled slug gun and it would do some weird groups until I saw a gun next to me at the rifle range shooting Remington Accutips and getting 3" groups. None of my rifles have ever liked Remington ammo, So I reluctantly bought 1 box of the Accutips and the gun was doing was doing 3" groups. I was ecstatic. I only shoot those from now on. Highly recommend them. The Federal Sabots were doing some really weird groups, like 12-15" and weird patterns.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back