PEAX Equipment

slow Duck season in the South?

you are clueless about the area I was hunting or what the options were for that day
Never presumed I did but ducks aren’t hard to figure out. I successfully hunt ducks every Fall within 30 minutes of the Twin Cities. With TONS of pressure from other hunters. If I can do it, 90% of others can. My original comment was to encourage others to try their public marsh and not to put up a wall of excuses, like you need a $10K lease to hunt ducks.

It amazes me how it never takes duck hunters very long to start arguing lol

Been a terrible season for me. Paid for a guided Arkansas trip where I shot 3 times (no birds killed... may have been poking a little far).
I've killed 3 wood ducks. With ~20 days of hunting thats pretty bad.
If next year doesn't pick up around here ill probably focus on traveling to hunt and not waste the gas money here.

And before someone says to scout, trust me I am. Scouting more than hunting and not finding birds where they can be hunted.
Even the refuges are pretty empty

It amazes me how it never takes duck hunters very long to start arguing lol

Been a terrible season for me. Paid for a guided Arkansas trip where I shot 3 times (no birds killed... may have been poking a little far).
I've killed 3 wood ducks. With ~20 days of hunting thats pretty bad.
If next year doesn't pick up around here ill probably focus on traveling to hunt and not waste the gas money here.

And before someone says to scout, trust me I am. Scouting more than hunting and not finding birds where they can be hunted.
Even the refuges are pretty empty
Yah that's a shitty season.

As bad as my season has been killing ducks atleast I don't have to scout or carry decoys, I just drive 10mins from house on 4wheeler to hunt my blind on public land. Leave decoys and seat there...ain't tough but that's what I enjoy about duck hunting keeping it low stress and fun

As bad as my season has been killing ducks atleast I don't have to scout or carry decoys, I just drive 10mins from house on 4wheeler to hunt my blind on public land. Leave decoys and seat there...ain't tough but that's what I enjoy about duck hunting keeping it low stress and fun

Same here my most frequent spot is behind my house at the moment. I think I prefer the tougher hike in hunts but I sure dont miss the windshield time traveling to the spot in the morning. When I hear my buddies pull in in the morning I know it's time to get out of bed!🤣

As far as central Texas it has been slow for the past three years, but there are still birds to be found. Definitely not in abundance though. I have a friend that guides at the coast and it's been red hot there, but that is usually the case.

For the OP sitting in the southern part of the Atlantic Flyway - be advised that Lake Champlain (500 sq. miles sandwiched between NY, Vt, and Quebec) is still wide open. I'm certain the St. Lawrence River and the Finger Lakes in NY are also open. Very little snow, less then 5" covering corn stubble. No real winter weather in sight.

We have open water and no snow here in SW MI. There is every bit of 1000 honkers on Maple lake which is way more than our resident flock of 200 or so.

With tons of food, open water, and safety of a lake in town they are not going to move until we get freeze up.

you guys with Geese to shoot got me jealous. They don't make it down here.. I gotta start travelin
Same here.
We have geese around here but the Canada's live on million dollar house ponds full time.
Snow geese just fly over, hardly landing
Specks can be killed every now and then, but it seems like dumb luck that they happen to fly by low enough to poke at

Same here.
We have geese around here but the Canada's live on million dollar house ponds full time.
Snow geese just fly over, hardly landing
Specks can be killed every now and then, but it seems like dumb luck that they happen to fly by low enough to poke at
My buddy has speck decoys and put them out every single time we hunted this year. We saw specks every single time also and not one of them gave us more than a glance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back