Sleeping pads??

trophy_killer

Anyone use these while you are backpacking?? If so what do ya use?? I'm looking at the Ridge Rest Sleeping Mat. Is it any good?? Should I even get one?? I've heard split opinions on sleeping pads, half the guys say I should take one, and the other half say it is just more weight. If you have any words of advice, I'd like to know.

Sorry bub, never used one. I would think that little bit of weight would be worth it's weight in gold though. Nothing like a comfortable night of sleep.
wink.gif

Your gonna want something to insulate you from the cold ground, besides your bag. I took a full length 3/4" ridgerest and cut it in half. These things last a lifetime, and now I have two for the price of one
smile.gif
Actually I only use the half to cut down on bulk (not so much weight, as they only weigh a few ounces)and will place it under my "buttock" and upper torso. If I want to get my legs and feet off the ground, I'll place some clothes under my bag. Take one...you'll sleep a lot more comfortable if you do.

smile.gif
vis

Man Ovis, YOU DA MAN!! I know I can count on you to give me a good word about what ever I need help on. Thanks!! I guess I'll get one, it's only like $30 so it's not that big of a deal. Thanks again!!

TK,
If you want to go for the self-inflating route, these are a bargain, and don't weigh too much, in the 3/4 length model from Campmor.com. I own a couple of them, and whoever borrows them is always happy...

Therm-A-Rest® Backpacker ¾ Length Self-Inflating Mattress
Item Number: 47619

therm.a.rest.mats.gif

Slight Cosmetic Imperfections
Size: 20in. x 47in. x 1.5in. Avg. wt. 1lb. 8oz.
Color: Burgundy top, brown bottom.
A great ¾ length camping and backpacking mattress at an incredible price. Lightweight nylon top with rugged nylon oxford bottom. Premium quality open-cell foam core is comfortable and warm. High-Flow valve for quick inflation/deflation.
HOT DEAL!
Therm-A-Rest® Backpacker ¾ Length Self-Inflating Mattress
No. 47619
Price: $29.97
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

elkgrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-15-2003 22:37: Message edited by: Elkgunner ]</font>

Elkgunner, how much are those and what do they weigh?? Thanks.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04-15-2003 22:15: Message edited by: trophy_killer ]</font>

TK,

Just exactly what do you do all day, in that big brick building with the flag out front? And you know that person who stands in front all day, telling you to open your books???

I just stuck the price up there too, so now all the information is in one page. The imperfects from Campmor are fine, I have never had a problem with them.

A buddy from Colo. once got his too close to the fire, and somehow it developed a big blister/bubble, but it seemed to still work, relatively fine.

I don't think they are for the "ultra-light" crowd, but that crowd typically avoids a pad altogether.

elkgrin.gif
er

TK,

I think you need to work harder, and get your money's worth out of that free education.
wink.gif
Maybe your readin' skills will improve, where you are able to catch the details of what you read......
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Campmor Sleeping Bargains There are some good deals on bags here too, North Face and Mtn. Hardwear.

elkgrin.gif
er

I have the 3/4 length one that Elkgunner has posted. It has worked great for me and the weight didn't put me over the edge. The only complaint I have is the surface is slick and I slide around during the night sometimes. I think they make them now with a different surface material that is not as slick. Anyway, two thumbs up.

Thanks for the heads up mtmiller. I too roll around in my sleep so this might not be a good pad if it is slick. I think I will stick to something that has a little more friction to keep me from sliding. But they are the same price as the other sleeping pad I was looking at. Maybe I will read some reviews for both of them at backpacker.com, do you know of any other websites where I can find information on reviews for these and other products??

you might consider an air mattress too,TK.They are compact and easy to carry deflated,and wonderful to sleep on inflated.

What you're after is to stay off the cold ground a bit.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back