Sleep Apnea Question

Way I hunt, I return to base camp every night. I have a pop-up camper and a charger. The charger is the quiet type that runs on either gas or propane so it can run all night as long as you check the oil regularly. It is also the quiet type that runs about what normal conversation is. I thought about the more portable kind and still may but at my age, I don't have the physical agility and that anymore to do deep back country hunting.

CPAP is the right way to treat OSA for most people, but the root of it for almost everyone is obesity. Drop your belly, and your neck fat with it, and there's a decent chance you will improve in all parts of your health, and many folks can get off their CPAPs entirely.
I've had OSA since my teens and I've never been overweight.

My sleep nurse was 27 yo, 5'6" 120lbs and has sleep apnea. I'm 15% bf and have sleep apnea. Its a crap stereotype. Has more to do with the width of your throat than your weight

I work in a dental office and we make the mouthpieces for sleep apnea. Its not approved for all stages of sleep apnea so ask your dentist. I wouldn't get one you buy at the stores, as it can hurt you more than help. One of the biggest issues with not getting a professionally made one. One of the biggest concerns is jaw issues. Cant tell you how many people come into our office with jaw issues because they refused to buy mouthpieces made by us. Cant complain though i love surgeries, so at least they keep me doing what i love. This is the type we use in our office. My pts love them and swear by them.

Attachments

• 20200511_112528.jpg
    20200511_112528.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 3
My sleep nurse was 27 yo, 5'6" 120lbs and has sleep apnea. I'm 15% bf and have sleep apnea. Its a crap stereotype. Has more to do with the width of your throat than your weight

I have always had a big head (wear large hats) and had an 18 inch neck since high school. I went into the Marine Corps weighing 130 pounds and a 29 in waist. I left bootcamp weighing 165 and when I retired, I weight 185. I probably had sleep apnea dating all the way back to 1980s when I was in the Marine Corps based on the number of complaints I got on my snoring. Back then I was in very good shape physically and low body fat. Those who had tonsillitis a lot as a kid are also at risk of sleep apnea.

I seriously regret not seeking treatment years ago when I got out of the Marine Corps and right before I enlisted into the Army. I had the symptoms way back then and made people tolerate my snoring and I tolerated the worsening fatigue. Gradually, I began to tolerate less and less physical activity before the muscle fatigue set in, a classic symptom of sleep apnea. I am telling you, if you even think you have the symptoms, see your doctor. It affects virtually every part of your mental and physical health. As is, my hypertension has went away and my hypoxemia has improved significantly. As for hunting, they do make the ones that can run on a portable deep cell battery.

Take a look at Goal Zero. I use their Sherpa 50 power pack and Nomad 20 solar panel along with a Z1 cpap. Add a mask/hose and all together it weighs around 6.5 lbs. Before heading into the field I fully charge the power pack and can get two nights from it. Every day I hook it to the solar panel to recharge as much as I can. Last year I spent 10 days in northern AK and had full use of my cpap ever night. I did quite a bit of research and this seems to be the lightest I cold find.

I skipped most of the posts so if this has been said my apologies. I've been on a CPAP since 96. I use the transend mini CPAP for home, truck and backpack camping. The provided battery gives you about two nights use. I can charge it with a large flexible solar panel and this works pretty well if there's enough sunlight. It does take up space in the pack but it's not terribly heavy. It packs down to the size of a cooking kit. Nothing else works for me and it makes a big difference in daily activity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back