Skull size

mdunc8

I had a chance to watch the buck I shot this year for almost an hour before pulling the trigger. He looked like a big, old deer but I didn’t realize his noggin was THAT much bigger than some of the other bucks I’ve shot. Gives me a whole new appreciation for what a mature buck looks like. His skull is exactly 13”x6”. Wondering how that compares to bucks others on here have hanging on the wall.

65E72019-01AF-43B2-B7B4-12CB1FC54433.jpeg

Thats crazy. I used to have a pic of a couple deer we shot one year, the two heads were side by side. One was a spindly 27in wide 4x4, the other was a narrow heavy 3x4. The 3x4 dwarfed the other other buck head wise. I couldn't get over how much bigger his actual head was.

After seeing this I had to go check the four skulls I have on the wall and the fifth I’m working on in the garage; all are the same relative size.
Don’t know if that’s good or bad but at least I’m consistent. :LOL:

I have 10 or so euro bulls in my garage and just took a look at all of them. The 290-320 bulls are all about 18" from tip of nose to top of skull.... the two 340-350" bulls are over 20" and noticeably "beefier". The 360 bull is shoulder mounted so I can't measure his skull, but guessing it would come in at / over that 20" mark. Definitely a very noticeable size difference by age class.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back