Sitka pant selection

targetpanic

Coming from the Northeast, once firearm seasons open up you will find me in a pair of Johnson wool pants. They are plenty warm and quiet for a day of still hunting through the thick woods of Northern Maine or sitting on a stump during Mass shotgun, but their biggest drawback is they are not very wind resistant. I was looking through Sitkas offerings for our upcoming trip to SE MT (10/28-11/4) for a better option for pants. I currently own an older style Stratus jacket that I have been very impressed with. Would the Sitka Stratus pants be a good choice for that terrain and that time of year?? I would like to get double duty out of them once I return home to the whitetail woods especially later in bow season. So basically I'm looking for something that is quiet and cuts wind and can keep the chill off on a 15-40 degree day.

Here's what I use and my base layers are just cheapo base layers nothing too extravagant but layer under these is key:

Mountain Pants - anything above 40 degrees(hiked 15mi in these in 100 degrees in MT last week), hunted elk in archery in them when it was 25 and was fine (hiked all day)
Timberline Pants - anything below 40 degrees, hunted in MT in the general season in below zero temps and wind (granted my hunting buddy swears I'm resistant to cold temps)

Buy these two and you're set but for your question I'd go with the timberlines.

Last edited:
I have a pair of timberline pants. The mountain pants might be better all around when comparing the two.

Or save some $$$$ and get this one, even better. $139

I have a pair of timberline pants. The mountain pants might be better all around when comparing the two.

Or save some $$$$ and get this one, even better. $139

I have a pair of attack pants...I love them for early season, but am looking for something heavier and more wind resistant.

How do the Sitka Timberline pants compare to the KUIU Guide pants? I really do not like the nylon on the outside knees/seat of the Timberline pants

How do the Sitka Timberline pants compare to the KUIU Guide pants? I really do not like the nylon on the outside knees/seat of the Timberline pants

The Guides are heavier fabric but very good for cold weather hunting.

They don’t. The timberlines are far burlier, have waterproof knees and ass etc.

I do like how the guides have vents though. Makes them far more tolerable when it warms up than the timberlines.

The guides do not do a good job of cutting the wind IME. The timberlines are a good pant for later season hunting. I like having the waterproof knees and butt because of snow and wet ground. They also breathe surprisingly well. I've tried both the guides and timberlines in the past few years. I like the timberlines better for how I hunt. Lots of hiking and glassing.

Here's what I use and my base layers are just cheapo base layers nothing too extravagant but layer under these is key:

Mountain Pants - anything above 40 degrees(hiked 15mi in these in 100 degrees in MT last week), hunted elk in archery in them when it was 25 and was fine (hiked all day)
Timberline Pants - anything below 40 degrees, hunted in MT in the general season in below zero temps and wind (granted my hunting buddy swears I'm resistant to cold temps)

Buy these two and you're set but for your question I'd go with the timberlines.

FYI the only difference between these two pants is the waterproof butt and knees.

The Timberlines come with suspenders and removable knee pads (not sure about the Mountain Pants). Wasn't sure I would like the suspenders, but now I can't hunt without them. I do remove the knee pads. I also have the Sitka Ascent pants that are lighter weight than the Timberlines. If I had to choose between the two I would choose the Timberlines for all of my hunting, but it is nice having the choice to wear the Ascents in warmer weather.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back