Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sitka Mountain Pant

Mikeflies

Has anyone here used the mountain pant form Sitka? I am looking to get myself some Sitka gear and do not want to waste my money on something I may not need. I will be hunting in Wyoming doing the walk & stock for Muley's & Elk. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks again & God Bless.

Yup, used them a lot this last year. Very good stuff.

It depends on the time of the year you are hunting elk and muleys. For Oct-Nov hunts, they are great. For September hunts, I would go with the Ascent pants

Here are links to both, and the 90% Pant.

Mountain Pant

Ascent Pant

The 90% Pant is very good as you start dealing with colder temps.

I used them all, and they are very good. Hold up very well.

The best piece of clothing I found this year was the Traverse Bottoms base layers. Worked when it was very cold in November, even when moving and hiking a lot.

The mountain pants are one of my favorite pieces of the system. Durable, lightweight, dry fast, the pockets are right, the cut is right. Then theres the removable knee pads! The perfect spot and stalk, backcountry pant. There on sale at 20% off at a few online retailers right now yet.

I'm not sure which pants Randy loaned me for our elk hunt but I liked them. I think we had the 90 and the ascent. I know I switched them depending on the weather. I really liked how comfortable and "stretchy" they were. I tried to do a 5 finger discount but Randy threatened to cut them off. I guess if I want to use them again I'm going to have to go on a hunt with him:)

I hear ya Lawnboy. I wore the 90% pants in KS in December and they were awesome. I tried telling Randy they were worn out from the dozen multi-day hunts they'd been on and that they shoud probably be replaced. Unfortunately they still looked like new after all the abuse and he saw through my ploy to assist him via relieving him of some gear. ;)

Thanks for the info. I will be using them in Oct-Nov and maybe in Dec w/some other layers if I get some drawings I am going to put in for. I think Sportmans Warehouse is having a sale this week so I will call before I go or call Cabela's and see when they will be having a sale. I really need both the pant & jacket so I guess I will buy the more expensive one first if the they are on sale to save more in the end. Now I guess I need to really look at the jackets as well. Oh well here I go again.

Really like my 2010 Sitka Mountain pants. Knee pads are awesome. The thicker fabric is nice for later in the season, but not too thick for early season use also. I used mine on my September archery elk hunt all the way through January archery deer here in AZ.

Only thing about them that halfway concerns me is the light shade of the pattern. Compared to my core 1/4 zip shirt and Traverse shirt, the mountain pants are much lighter in color. Kinda feel like I'm glowing a bit at sunrise and sunset. Probably my favorite pant though. Very water resistant, yet breath very well. The knee pads can get somewhat warm early season, but the trade off is worth it.

Here I am glassing (or trying to glass) while helping a buddy on an AZ late season (November) archery elk hunt. The Mountain pants shed the moisture very well. Was worried that I hadn't put on any rain pants, but I never got very wet.
P1010024.JPG

Ron

Thanks Ron. Thats a cool pic. It looks like next week when I go to Reno I will be able to pick some up. My wife gave me the OK since our refund check should be in the bank.

Back