Sitka Layering?

Bivy

I invested in the 90% pants and jacket last year and absolutely love it. The durability, pockets, wicking, "pit zips", optifade, silence...absolutely amazing.

I'm looking to get more. Currently I have the baselayer top and bottom (lighter option) and the 90% as stated. It worked great in archery season and most of rifle. Jacket on during the cool mornings and jacket off with just the baselayer in the heat of the day. However, the 90% isn't waterproof (although it sheds a light shower like a champ) and isn't going to keep you totally toasty on a cold, cold late season day.

I'm debating between the stormfront (coat and pants) and the coldfront (coat and pants)...maybe the coldfront pants with the stormfront coat wore over the 90%...

So I'm curious how you all have layered your Sitka gear and what works for you and your style of hunting. I'm thinking the additional purchase of the new merino wool baselayer might add more warmth for those December days in an Ohio treestand.

Thanks!

I use a Jetstream jacket in colder weather, but that is for hiking around the mountains, not stand hunting like you mention doing.

That is a decision that is dependent upon both weather and activity level. I have used the Stormfront Jacket when I know it will be windy and cold. It has worked great.

I also layer up with the Traverse level base layers, both top and bottom. With those bottoms, I can usually get by with the 90% Pants for most everything, except the most brutally cold and windy conditions. If I was not hunting actively, I would probably step up to the Stornfron Pant for warmth.

Good luck with it.

belly-deep and Fin...thanks for the replies.

I was going to purchase the Traverse, but with the news of the Merino wool baselayer line I'm holding out. Did you handle this new line at the SHOT show at all? How does it compare to the two present baselayers offered in thickness?

I'm leaning more and more towards stormfront now. I might just have to chase those Midwest whitetails of home with Carhartt bibs and wool jackets like I've done for the past 14 seasons :) I still use the same shotgun...probably can get by with the same clothes :)

Fin you may be an antelope junkie...but the whitetail bug bit me years ago and I just can't let a season pass without going back to Ohio and doing drives with the hunting buddies I grew up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back